Help with unit

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
Time to ask for help .SItting with 25 non Resident points,been trying unit's 2 , 10, 201..
Would like to try again this year .PArtner only has 22 NR points. We,re both getting old
73 and 74. I know that all of you have forgetting more about mule deer than l,'ll ever
LEARN. The nice thing would be lack of hunters in those areas . We might be dead.
by then, never know. If we ever get a tag we can get outon the ground. We hunted whietail.
over 60 + years,but lost with finding a nice.mule deer.. I know that this is a no. no ,but if.
I don't ask I,'ll never know. Any help you Would give would be great, just looking for a. unit.
to start with. not honey holes. Thank you for any help you can share.
John from northern Wi

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What state and what weapon? I presume Colorado.

Here in Colorado the units that used to be quite good are having problems with the mule deer right now as afar as populations are concerned

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks , JimP , Yes Colorado, and would think 3rd season Would be best but
Just hopping for a unit with a fair chance. I read posts every nite so understand it's not like the good old days. We both bow hunt but would thinking gun is better for us rookies. Last few years we tried 3rd season and should have shot for 2nd. Hate the waiting game but we're may get lucky this time. Wishing we were younger so not waste the hopeful tag. Just getting in the mountains will be worth a lot. I get pumped thinking of them. Thanks again

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A few years ago I would of said unit 44 but my home unit has lost a lot of deer over the last few years.

And while there are still some great bucks to be hunted they are not here like they used to be. I will have a unit 44 muzzle loader tag for this year and my hopes are not that good of finding a great buck. Two years ago I had the muzzle loader tag and I saw more bears than I did buck deer.

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
I 100% agree with 4 th season, it looking at last 3 years only 1 unit had 4th season and license sold were 5 5 3 with mega points that partner dosenot have, I totally understand that information that you worked many years for be like asking for black book of hot lady's you had or have. Success for some of you is 90% skill 10% luck , for us it would be 95% luck 5% skill, but we can live with that. The older I get its more about the hunt then the kill,like catch and release fishing.still a thrill. All for now, hope you and family stay healthy.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
No suggestion as to units, but you may want to consider making a deal with your hunting partner (especially if you are the older guy with the most points). Apply separately for tags in the same unit & season. If only one draws, then both commit to the hunt. After that the role will reverse when the partner draws (hopefully in the next couple years). If health or point creep don't take you out, then you can go on two hunts, and the partner will get a chance to learn the unit.
The downside is that talk is cheap, and I have partners who made commitments, but dropped the ball in the end. It's more important to share the time you have left, doing the things that you love, with the people who you care about. Killing a mule deer buck is fine, but helping your best friend get his may be even more rewarding.

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
RIcmac Thank you, and your point is right on. I think we better go soon as it seems that every month or year more things get in the way. I'm Sure having a fun and safe trip is top of the list. I think now just getting a tag will be biggest problem. We're going to have fun anyway. As older flat landers we want to go before We're flat liners. Were going to have to hunt smarter cause we can't hunt harder,that's why I'm pestering you guys. I thanks again for talking the time with us as I know it must get old.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
RIcmac Thank you, and your point is right on. I think we better go soon as it seems that every month or year more things get in the way. I'm Sure having a fun and safe trip is top of the list. I think now just getting a tag will be biggest problem. We're going to have fun anyway. As older flat landers we want to go before We're flat liners. Were going to have to hunt smarter cause we can't hunt harder,that's why I'm pestering you guys. I thanks again for talking the time with us as I know it must get old.
That's what this place is for! We're all rooting for you and hope you draw. I've never researched most of the units you would be looking to draw (I have 7 points in CO) so I can't really help a whole lot. In just a quick search I found a couple units you could consider. I'll send you a PM and maybe you could ask some of the CO guys if theses units would give you the type of hunt you are looking for.

I'm sure you are aware but just in case you're not, the CO hunting atlas is a great tool to see deer concentration areas, migration patterns, migration corridors, etc. Here is the link: https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
I like. paper paper maps,also had 1 year ox that expired. Will be getting again after draw if lucky. All paper maps were lost in house fire 5 10 2018.that and reloading room lost lots of reloading history lost, Was home and had fireman try to save room did good but fire disregarding rusted the rest. The biggest loss was my wife's favorite cat . We had a fortknox so all was not lost. Knowing 4th would be better but it cuts Into our season. Again thanks for the input. Lots of pieces to the puzzle.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are area that 3rd is just as good as 4th. There are units such as 21 that don't have a 4th season since the rut usually kicks in during the 3rd if not the 2nd.

Unit 21 has lots of public land and if you hit the migration at the right time there should be quite a few bucks. I hunted it last year with my brother in law who had the tag during 2nd season and the migration was just starting so there were few deer but he did manage to take a respectable buck on the second day. He had decided that it was time to go home after we had been out hunting one state or another for close to 30 days. But it was the first 4pt that we saw.

Reactions: LCH

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
You-all have waited a long time to go, wish you the best.

Also - seeing that "this is it" as you aren't gonna get another 25 point tag again - maybe consider a guided hunt?

Reactions: marcusvdk

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks Rich, Yes guided would be great, but thinking deer could still be packed out with the 2 of us. Also $5000, plus for a deer hunt is hard to swallow I,m not saying it's not worth it, a good guide can sure take the pressure off.Also I have 23 Nonresident elk points where I would have to get big time help. Went on a M Loader elk hunt with guide had a good time and that's What is my wish is for next. The man is 100% right. I think l,'ll run out of time before money

xbeekeeper

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks all, pulled the pin Getting in game. 25 non res points can go. If I get lucky I,l get my walker ready Hope to taste the venison. Deer deer deer long waiting game,