Help with 243

schl44

Feb 21, 2014
I am wanting to hunt deer this year with my dads Belgium Browning Automatic 243. I think the gun is around 50 years old. I just ordered a 3x9x40 Leupold Marksman Scope to replace the Weaver 6 power scope with tip off mounts. Im not sure what the barrel twist is on this rifle. What Brand and gr. Ammo would you suggest for Whitetails. My shots would be 250 yards max for hunting , but i would like to practice out to 500 yards. Thanks for any suggestions!

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
I would try several different brands/grain of ammo on the range. See which performs best with your weapon, which gives you the best groups. Shooting is the best way to see which type of rounds work best with your weapon and you can never practice enough with a new weapon getting ready for hunting season. I have found my best results with Winchester ammo, but I am always trying new rounds out on the range to see if there is better options oout there.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'd go with 90-100 grain round and wouldn't use a hollow point or ballistic tip.
Like suggested above pick up 3 different brands, give them a go at the range and decide from there.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Something to consider. That weapon was made before manufacturing specs got bigger to allow for all ammo brands to cycle correctly right out of the box/shelf. Dont get frustrated as you may have to go through a couple brands to get it shooting factory ammo the way you want.
Each cartridge is gonna have different COAL.

Going the handload route in the future will help with that.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For a deer you don't need a tack driver.

90% of the ammo out there will shoot good enough to kill a deer at 100-200 yards. Then next year when you have some time try out some different ammo if you are still planning on using it and find which one shoots the best. Then make a decision if you want to use that brand in the future. Just remember once you decide on a brand and shoot up the boxes of ammo that you purchased you may have to go through all of it again after the manufacture changes the lot numbers.

Don't over complicate it.

When I took my dad's 300 Savage out for the first time in over 60 years I just picked a box of ammo off of the shelf, went out and killed a deer. I could of cared less if it was shooting 1/2 inch groups or not, it got the job done.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Try some Federal, Nosler, or Winchester loadings using a 90-100 gr. bullet. The 100 gr. Nosler Partition is hard to beat for any animal you would want to shoot with the 243 including elk at the max range you list as 250 yards. 90 br. Accubond is a great bullet as is the 90 gr. E-tip. I'm pretty partial to Nosler as they perform so well no game. If one of the bullets I list shoot, you would be fine.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Like others have said, most factory ammo will kill a deer and likely shoot good enough out to 250. I personally like the Hornady 95 grain loads out our youth 243. The terminal performance out of those has been the best we have used.