hello from ND

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
Hello, I've been a longtime Eastman's subscriber and have just joined the forum to seek insight and learn from other avid western hunters. I live in eastern ND and have always enjoyed hunting the west being fortunate to have hunted in quite a few states including: ND, SD, MN, KY, AZ, MT, ID, WY, AK along with Manitoba and Alberta. It has been a goal of mine to achieve the super 10, and I have 3 categories left (bison/musk ox, caribou, and of course sheep). Over the years I've been on several guided hunts but have always been most satisfied on DIY and want to spend more time researching those opportunities. This past fall my wife and I were blessed with some amazing hunting finally tagging the moose that has been eluding me for years. I've been on 3 trips to Alberta with the goal of arrowing a bull and have had tremendous encounters with 50-60" bulls but never being able to let an arrow fly. This year we decided to give it a go with the rifle and we hunted hard for 6 days and I couldn't pass the opportunity at a legal bull on day 6. It isn't the monster that I was hoping to put in the trophy room, but my wife was right beside me and made it a memory that will last forever. A week later back home in ND I was fortunate enough to arrow a 150" whitetail, again with my wife beside me in the tree stand. This will be a tough fall to beat, but we are definitely up for the challenge. My wife really wants to shoot an elk so my research is now beginning on how to make that happen. Here are a few memories that I've had over the years enjoying God's creation in the wild west!

Attachments

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Welcome! Nodak is a great state, always enjoyed any time I've gotten to spend up there. Those are some really nice trophies you've got there!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
welcome to the forums!

looks like you've already got a lot of memories,congrats and here's to your making many, many more!

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, I'm looking forward to learning from everyone! Also thanks for the compliments. The goat and sitka were from a trip to Kodiak a few years ago. That was by far the most challenging thing I've ever done both mentally and physically and is a hunt that I certainly will not forget. When looking over maps one might think Kodiak isn't that bad with peaks in the low 3000' range, but I completely underestimated the thick bush you need to climb through first to get there. We certainly came out heavy packing the goat, deer, and camp out between 2 people but it was all worth it. One morning I decided to try call in a fox that I had seen only to wake up a large Kodiak bear. Right then and there we decided no more calling! Capped off the trip with some active sea duck hunting.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
whats your opinion on nr putting in for mule deer tag. have been doing 1st 4b 2nd 4c i know it could take many years but its the game i play.

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
I have quite a bit of experience hunting 4C, that is where I used to put in for rifle tags up to about 8 years ago and I decided to just hunt around home for whitetails instead. I got tired of waiting 5-6 years to draw a tag and in the meantime watch some really nice whitetails around my house that I have good odds of getting. Used to spend anywhere from 5-10 days chasing mulies in 4C with the bow for quite a few years as well. There are some great bucks in the unit, but like anywhere else you have to find those spots where they reside. As for 4B, I've driven the eastern edge a few times while out bowhunting but really don't have much experience hunting that unit. While in 4C we usually camped out Magpie campground and hunted out of there.

Here are a few pics from hunting that area. Look closely in the first and you will see 2 cats. I was literally within 100 yards of those cats when the pictures were taken. I heard them fighting and was sneaking in with my bow but saw another hunter across the draw so I backed out as he was there first. Come to find out he was a nonresident hunter that couldn't shoot them and was taking pictures. If I could only have that moment back I would have continued pursuing as everything was in my favor to get close enough for a good shot.

And here is a 170" mulie that I helped pack out for a friend of mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
whats your opinion on nr putting in for mule deer tag. have been doing 1st 4b 2nd 4c i know it could take many years but its the game i play.
For the most part, all of the badlands units are good units. 4A, B, C and D are all good. Probably 10-20 year draw for NR though. 4C gets the most hype but really isn't any better than any other unit.

Reactions: brian.320