Hello from N. Idaho

Bugleseeker

Jan 18, 2024
N. Idaho
Hey all. Been a subscriber to Eastman's on and off for several years and just now discovered this forum exists. Grew up hunting in WI and moved to N. Idaho 10 years ago. Hunting mostly elk, deer, bear, and wolf. Also killed a Shiras moose in 2014, and got a caribou in Quebec in 2008. So anyways, my dad, brother, and I have 13 Colorado mule deer preference points that we are looking to cash in this year. Never hunted in CO before and only really spent a few days camping in a couple places there passing through. Looking forward to getting into the research on this. Also planning to spend some time this spring researching and applying for other western hunts. My dream hunt is bighorn sheep, which I've been applying for every year in Idaho, but no luck yet.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Welcome to the site, its been slow without hunting season going on but if you have any questions ask away. Quite a few members check in every now and then so the questions should get answered.

I've lived in Colorado for 35+ years and have wandered around in units 44 and 35 quite a bit.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Bugleseeker

Jan 18, 2024
N. Idaho
Hey there. Understandable that there's not a lot of users on the forum right now. I was thinking about going to the western hunting expo in Salt Lake City next month, but not sure at the moment if I'll be able to, and not sure if its worth a weekend trip for me from where I'm at. Do you know much about it, or have any thoughts on it?

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Never been to it.

From what I know of them and going to the one in Denver it is a big show for outfitters. There are some booths set up for selling things and food and a lot of mounted game animals.

A number of the outfitter will have chances to win hunts but you have to really look at just what they are offering if you win. A lot of times it will end up costing to what you could book a hunt for on your own.

I turned in a outfitter years ago to the Colorado AG for his practices at the Denver Hunt Expo

Bugleseeker

Jan 18, 2024
N. Idaho
Thank you very much. That is excellent intel. I suspected that might be the case. Some of these events are better than others. I’m inclined to do a DYI hunt, but if the price is right would consider drop camp. Expense of a full outfitter hunt is out of reach.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One thing with point game.

If you want to make sure that you draw a tag this year look at units that require 1 or 2 fewer points than you have.

I couldn't tell you how many hunters I have seen get disappointed when they find that they needed another point when they put in for a unit that only the year before only required the amount of points that they put in with.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Never been to it.

From what I know of them and going to the one in Denver it is a big show for outfitters. There are some booths set up for selling things and food and a lot of mounted game animals.

A number of the outfitter will have chances to win hunts but you have to really look at just what they are offering if you win. A lot of times it will end up costing to what you could book a hunt for on your own.

I turned in a outfitter years ago to the Colorado AG for his practices at the Denver Hunt Expo
Anyone know when this Expo is? Hope is was not the one that was last weekend!

Bugleseeker

Jan 18, 2024
N. Idaho
One thing with point game.

If you want to make sure that you draw a tag this year look at units that require 1 or 2 fewer points than you have.

I couldn't tell you how many hunters I have seen get disappointed when they find that they needed another point when they put in for a unit that only the year before only required the amount of points that they put in with.
Thank you very much for that advice. I was a bit concerned about that so I will keep that in mind when I’m looking at units/seasons.