Heading East for a long weekend

coastalarms

We are heading to Burns this weekend as a pre-pre-pre season scouting trip and hopefully to pop a few coyotes as well. Checking out Steens, Malheur River and Beulah. Haven't hunted Steens or Beulah before. I am thinking of putting in for Steens deer and Beulah will be a second choice elk. I called last week and also got an appointment with the biologist at ODFW Burns as well to pick her brain about the units.

More importantly, its going to be good just to take some days off and decompress a bit :)

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Funny stuff. I should see if I can get the GPS information from my dad he bought 4 sections south of Burns a few years ago and has never even seen it. Heck if there was anything to hunt on it you could have at it, if you can find the land.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Funny stuff. I should see if I can get the GPS information from my dad he bought 4 sections south of Burns a few years ago and has never even seen it. Heck if there was anything to hunt on it you could have at it, if you can find the land.
Good to know. I will drag my old camp trailer and tarps and squat on it for ya.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
My brother and I hit the blitzen every spring to catch a few fatties. We postponed for a couple weeks because it was spitting snow over there last weekend. If I could drive over there every weekend, I would.

Happy scouting!! It sure is nice to wait for the upper gates to open on steens loop. Does anyone know if they are open or not?

Timber, we will be waiving at you from the prineville turnoff next Friday.

coastalarms

My brother and I hit the blitzen every spring to catch a few fatties. We postponed for a couple weeks because it was spitting snow over there last weekend. If I could drive over there every weekend, I would.

Happy scouting!! It sure is nice to wait for the upper gates to open on steens loop. Does anyone know if they are open or not?

Timber, we will be waiving at you from the prineville turnoff next Friday.
I called BLM yesterday and they are closed down to Page Springs on the north loop and Black Canyon on the south. Said they hope to have it open about 1/2 way up by the end of May and the complete loop the first of July.

coastalarms

looks like your land is in the Beatys Butte unit (#70). Not far from where we are going...I'll see if I can get you some photos of the place....thats a lot a land!

coastalarms

Well, we had a great time and learned a few things as well...
It was a scouting trip, coyote hunting trip, sage rat shooting trip, and basic excuse to get out for a few days. Its an area we have been to several times and there have always been TONS of coyotes..... Apparently, the ranchers in the area have been pretty upset at the lack of predator management in the area. Well, their voices were finally heard. In the last 3 months or so they have been taking out the yotes from helicpoters. They were able to put a significant dent in the population, and the ones that survived must be running around with their heads down. We literally didn't see a single coyote. Thats where the first lesson comes from... call ahead.

On the last day we met with one of biologist from the Burns ODFW office and she told us what had happened. She also told us that in the last 3 years the government trappers have been taken 20 cougars a year out of the Steens. 60 cougars! She said that it will continue in 2015, but that they have to apply/get it reauthorized every year. She said Steens, Juniper, Malhuer, and Beatys Butte should all improve over the next 5 years. She was very helpful. If you guys dont already, start calling and building relationships with the biologist in the area you hunt. We spent 1.5 hours with her. I take a notepad with a list of questions I want to ask and a map of the area to write on.

The other data gold mine we hit was at a little cafe. Lessson #2, talk to people. We ended talking with the owner of the cafe and a few ranchers for about an hour. Ended up getting permission to hunt a couple ranches if we need and also got the lowdown on deer movement for a ton of land. Would have never got that if we went to the Mcdonalds or the coffee drive thru's (not sure if there is one there anyway).

It is crazy dry over there! There wasnt even a winter this year and its going to be tough. Keying on water this year will probably be more important than ever.....and if there's a fire its going to be burn like a sun of a gun.

Sage rats were everywhere as usual. This is the next lesson....hunting rats with a suppressed 22 pistol is a whole new level of fun!!

Pictures......I didnt take my dlsr, just my little guy...even still a few came out ok.

first pic, wild horses (not really wild). I wont get on my soap box too much here, but these guys are destroying the habitat. They will actually defend their water holes from everything except a cougar. According to the ODFW biologist, these guys are from the "hollywood herd". They got their nickname because they've had their pictures taken a million times...

DSCN0493.jpg

We spotted this guy and I couldnt believe how big his horns were already. I'm not an antelope expert, but he looks good to me!

DSCN0533.jpg

these were quite a ways away..so its kinda blurry.

DSCN0488.jpg

Its been about 5 years since I have seen pheasants over in this area and we were able to spot about 15 on a short drive.

DSCN0525.jpg

In the refuge we saw tons of birds making their spring migration. Sandhill cranes everywhere....and this pretty little guy as well.

DSCN0521.jpg

well...there ya go.
If any of you guys are planning on hunting in the SE end, I would give the ODFW office a call. They have some really great maps of the units that the local GIS office makes up. They are 8 bucks and well worth it.

coastalarms

I called BLM yesterday and they are closed down to Page Springs on the north loop and Black Canyon on the south. Said they hope to have it open about 1/2 way up by the end of May and the complete loop the first of July.

fyi, unless there is a giant snow storm in the near future, ODFW folks think the entire loop should be open in May. Its practically clear all the way around right now.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
What a great trip. I am so jacked to get over there, but I have to wait until friday. Great news on the cats. I saw the biggest cat i have ever seen a mile or so up the rd from Page Springs.

Bugs are out, and I am ready to catch some fish!!