Headed to FC-RONR Wilderness

Jul 24, 2011
Well my brother and I are headed deep into the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness next Friday. We are flying into a backcountry airstrip and hiking 5 miles to a little cirque lake for basecamp, then going wherever the game takes us for the next 7 days. We have an elk tag, a deer tag, a bear tag, and two wolf tags between the two of us, so hopefully we pack something out of there. I've done plenty of wilderness and backcountry hunting in the past but this will be the first time I am flying in. Hopefully the fires don't ruin the hunt, although I'm sure the air quality will be suffering depending on the wind direction. Should be interesting, I will post the results when we get back.

Last edited:

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
you are going to love it! indian creek is beautifull!! you will deff fill your wolf tags, check on gut piles from deer or elk u harvest. the air is going to be sloppy, hopefully itll rain or snow or a cold front will move in and push the smoke out. cant wait to see pics. fyi.... the area between you and sihp island holds alot of elk.

Jul 24, 2011
you are going to love it! indian creek is beautifull!! you will deff fill your wolf tags, check on gut piles from deer or elk u harvest. the air is going to be sloppy, hopefully itll rain or snow or a cold front will move in and push the smoke out. cant wait to see pics. fyi.... the area between you and sihp island holds alot of elk.

Thanks ivorytip. PM sent.

Jul 24, 2011
We are back

Well we are back from the Frank. It was a tough hunt. In 5 days we had one shot opportunity at a small bull, but my brother passed because the bull wasn't what he was looking for. We didn't see a single deer the entire trip. We saw sign from lots of elk, a huge bear track and some wolf tracks, but all the game stuck to super thick cover during the heat of the day and was nearly impossible to hunt. Lots of deadfall and the fires to the south made for difficult glassing during the morning inversions and with South winds. All in all we had fun and hunted hard, but came home with 5 unpunched tags. McCall Aviation flew us in and has my full recommendation for anybody interested in backcountry flights. They are truly first class. I may try the hunt again and pray for colder weather, the game is there just hard to find in hot weather.