Harvest Data report

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
here in NV it is a mandatory report via website that takes less than 2 minutes. If you do not fill it out, it used to be a $50 fine before you can buy another hunting license. Not sure if the fine is still in play as I have always filled out my reports accurately and on time.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Ohio its mandatory also . We used to have to take the carcass to a check in station. Now its just call a number and check it in then your issued another number which you must have to take it to a game processor or taxidermist. I never have thought anything of it ... its just the way it is. When we harvested are antelope this year one of the first thing we did at the campground is ask are new Wyoming buddies, what now ? They looked at us funny 🤔. I filled out the hunting survey through a link from an email when i got home after a couple weeks. It was really basic and quick. Its really not a big deal . I don't like change and i get nobody wants to be told they have to do something different. At the end of the day if it helps any game and fish department it benefits everyone including the wildlife.

Reactions: mallardsx2

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Mandatory would be good, as long as all successful hunters report it. Data would be accurate. I also like the spring winter range counts as well if those are conducted accurately and consistently each year.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I am starting to wonder if some of the western states dont really want to know exactly what is being killed.....then they might have to actually do something instead of just shoveling out as many overpriced tags to non-residents as possible....

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I am starting to wonder if some of the western states dont really want to know exactly what is being killed.....then they might have to actually do something instead of just shoveling out as many overpriced tags to non-residents as possible....
After being a part of the mule deer migration video over the course of the last year, I can assure you that in Wyoming they for sure care. My suspicion is that they do in the other states as well but bureacracy makes movement tough for sure.

Reactions: Conrad8899

heyjbales

Jan 5, 2021
When are the harvest data reports released? How accurate do you feel they are? I know I was not contacted on my last 4 tags 2 in 2018 and 2 in 2020. My son was not contacted on either of his 2 tags in 2018. Just wondering about others thoughts.
Hey just figured I would point out the tooth ages got released last week, so that's cool data to check out. I'd imagine they aren't far behind with harvest reports.

In reference to accuracy - when you either look at 2019 or read the 2020 reports, you can scroll all the way to the bottom of the PDF and find confidence intervals for their harvest rates. In 2019, most harvest data was within 2.5-3.5%. So a harvest rate of 30% could have been 27.5-33.5%. Pretty negligible for management decisions. Check it out on the next report and maybe it'll give you more confidence in the harvest rates for the unit(s) you're applying for.

Alan Leone

Jan 19, 2021
Seems Wyoming has made it easier to report your harvest data. Hopefully folks take the 5 minutes to complete the online surveys. I still pour through the reports with a grain of salt though since you can't be sure how honest folks are. Like all things its only a part of the puzzle.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
The antelope number are viewable now. Numbers are way down for the area I hunted 21. I still think to high even though the big drop.
2020 limited 1 278 at 59.4% D/F 215 at 66.6%.
2019 limited 1 370 at 77.9% D/F 205 at 55.1%
2018 limited 1 423 at 90.2% D/F at 282 79.2%

I know 13 or 14 days into the season every bit of public land still had several vehicle at all spots. This is the reason I think less were taken than the numbers show. Still a large drop with the data shown. This area will need some time to recover.

heyjbales

Jan 5, 2021
The antelope number are viewable now. Numbers are way down for the area I hunted 21. I still think to high even though the big drop.
2020 limited 1 278 at 59.4% D/F 215 at 66.6%.
2019 limited 1 370 at 77.9% D/F 205 at 55.1%
2018 limited 1 423 at 90.2% D/F at 282 79.2%

I know 13 or 14 days into the season every bit of public land still had several vehicle at all spots. This is the reason I think less were taken than the numbers show. Still a large drop with the data shown. This area will need some time to recover.
I will say, archery season on public ground is good in that unit. 😉

There's a new bill to increase the Access programs like WIAs and HMAs....this area could use it for goats for sure. Plenty of them around. Clearly, as the dropping stats show, hard to get to them.