Hands Feee Rifle Carry

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Changing backpacks this season from an Eberlestock to a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38. Now I need some kind of hands free rifle carry.

I'm currently looking at the Mystery Ranch Quick Draw sling, Gun Bearer, Pak-Rat rifle sling, Sling Saddle and others.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of the ones mentioned above please feel free to comment. Thank you.

I can speak to the Gun Bearer from Kifaru. I have run one for years now and find it very handy. The other set-up I like and have a little experience with is the older Safari sling that places the rifle across your body. This is not as easy to use when going through timber etc. but better for snap shots. In the past I have rigged up various "devices" that work like the Pak-Rat and similar, basically just a hook to hold up the rifle via the sling on the shoulder strap of the pack. These have worked but do not allow quick access nor the inhibited movement like the gun bearer.

Reactions: prhunter

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I could never carry my rifle slinged up in front of me like some people do. I fall down too much. lol

• Haha

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
For a couple bucks of flat black webbing and a couple buckles I built a knock off the exact size and length for my pack, rifle, and my height so it sits right where I want it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I never have liked carrying my rifle anywhere besides in my hands or arms.

I have a pack with the rifle sleeve and I just don't like it. I was asked once why I wasn't using it and I just said that I use my rifle as a counter balance when hiking, it has helped me to avoid a few spills.

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I've got Frankenstud Sling Keepers on all of my packs including my turkey vest. Fantastic product, easy to install and works great.

I always hated my rifle sling trying to slide off my shoulder when stopping to glass while hiking to a particular spot. The FSK solved that issue in spades.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have a gun bearer but don't use it much. It looks so smooth in the video but it's always been a little clumsy for me. I have a soft rubber butt stock pad on my rifle that seems to get hung up a lot in the "cup" portion of the carrier, and I've found the shoulder-release clip is stiff and a little fussy to let go the way they show in the video. Also, since you have to mount it, you end up carrying on one side only. So you're still putting more weight on one shoulder than another.

If I'm somewhere I feel I might need to get off a quick off-hand shot I just carry on a sling, I just upgraded to a nice one with a neoprene pad that has a little give (without "bouncing"). The rest of the time I carry in a scabbard.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’ve always just strapped my rifle to my pack. No pouch for the butt to sit in either. The bottom strap I would lace it between the zoom of the scope and the rear scope ring and have never had a issue.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I've got a horn hunter mainbeam xl pack and it has 2 straps on the back for securing rifle. The only time it is in there is if I'm covering ground and not hunting. If hunting or in hunting area, carrying rifle in case I need it.

Yes, I'm from the east - you might get 1-3 seconds to shoot a deer in the pines where I grew up. Watching critters out west is fun and I do understand being able to sling or hang your gun on a pack but not how I cut my teeth.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
PR - what did you decide to go with?
Reason I ask is I'm considering trying the Frankenstud.
So for the Eberlestock X2 I used the bow bucket with the quick detach ripcord and was not able to find anything to used with my new Mystery ranch bag. Still looking for options