Hammocks?

topdog

Apr 15, 2011
Has anyone used a hammock, such as Warbird hammocks with a tarp cover, for elk hunting, etc.? Some of my hunting ground is everything but flat, even enough for a tent, and I like to sleep where darkness finds me and not have to hike out to a base camp. Wondering if a hammock would work in that scenario?

homegrown

Mar 9, 2011
Belgrade, Montana
I also would like to try using a hammock, I have one but have never tried to sleep all night in it. I know its a lot more comfortable than it looks, but was wondering if I might get cold with all that air under me. Anybody use one?

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Hey guys there was a thread on this a while back, go to Everything Back Country, and the thread is called Hammock Camp. Hope this helps.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
Everyone I know has the same complaint about hammock camps. The bugs! Even with a Thermacell sitting under you and a light tarp for a rain cover over top the bugs have chewed up everyone I know who hammock camps. Bivy with a bug net in it for me.

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
I used the hennessy explorer for a few years a while back. They are awesome early in the year but when it gets cold they aren't as much fun. You can still get by but you need some sort of insulation layer in between you and the air underneath. They are a good lightweight option though and it's pretty easy to find two trees to tie up to. I remember sleeping on a scouting trip on the side of a mountain that was about as steep as you'll find. I had to hook my pack up to the tree cause it would have rolled down the mountain.

topdog

Apr 15, 2011
I guess there are a few options for insulation, but some are pretty expensive. A down under quilt is one of the expensive ones, but you can use your regular sleeping pad, if it isn't too cold. Early archery season is usually warm enough to get by with the pad. Anything later and I think I'd need the under quilt. For those who don't already know, the under quilt hangs under the hammock and is held as tightly as possible to the bottom of the hammock. The down remains uncompressed and retains a lot of warmth, or so the various hammock sites claim. By the way, when I started this thread, I mentioned Warbird hammocks. I meant to write Warbonnet. Thanks for all of your replies.

coyhuntermn

Jul 18, 2011
I thought this was the ticket and tried and tried to make a hammock work. You wont get much sleep I think it is something you would have to try but my issue was my shoulders. The backpack style don't have a spreader bar like the ones you setup in your backyard so they wrap around you like a pea pod and you cant relax your shoulders and get comfortable. I was worried that my back would be out in the morning or neck. I tried modifying them several times over the years and get teased about them now because my ropes broke and we spent the night on the ground with a boot for a pillow. I switched to a Appy trails Mark V tent no floor and extremly light and only $125. Spend you money on a good lightweight Bivy and Pad then you don't have to pitch a tent.

MarkTheFark

Feb 21, 2011
soleadventure.com
I have used hammocks quite extensively, but when I head out West, I use a tent.

My experience with Hammocks has been good. Yes, they can be cool on the underside, however I have been comfortable down into the upper-20s, when using my 15deg down Marmot bag. Bugs can be an issue, but that is obviously dependent on your location.

They are super-comfortable, and I sleep much better in them than I do in a tent. While many tout the weight benefits of a hammock, that gap is narrowing every year. Hammock + tarp/fly + bug netting (optional) + extra insulation (seasonal), can easily reach or even exceed the weight of some of the new tents like the BA Fly Creek.