Green Chile Stew?

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anyone have a good recipe for a Southwestern/Rocky Mtn style green Chile Stew using venison (or wild game, generically?)

Last season was a good one for me with bags of roasted Chile from the garden crowding the freezer, and a couple does as well. I have a recipe I 'sorta' follow I've used in the past, that uses some chicken broth, potatoes, stewed tomatoes as a base, and some masa flour to thicken it up; but am curious what others do?

Was thinking about using some of that bounty and fixing up a pot of it for Sunday supper. 🤠

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Try leaving out the tomatoes and adding some Serrano chilies
and whole green chilies, Az. style, with the small street, flout tortillas
on the side for dipping.💥:cool:

Reactions: Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I found this bare-bones version from the cattlemen down there, it's prob really good; simple as that recipe is, the little canned green Chiles from Wally World might not cut it to get a good flavor profile. It omits the tomatoes and uses straight-up water instead of chicken broth for the liquid.

https://nmbeef.com/recipes/new-mexico-green-chile-beef-stew

Using wild game instead of beef or pork, it being so lean, it might benefit from a good sear in a bath of bacon drippings, instead of plain vegetable oil. I also like some cumin in mine as well. Being 1/2 Hispanic, cumin and Mexican oregano are staples in my kitchen. If you have a Mexican grocery store nearby, don't be shy about checking out their spice aisle for the good stuff. I mean the legal 'good stuff'! 🤠

Here's one with the cumin and oregano:

https://www.newmexicomagazine.org/blog/post/famous-hatch-green-chile-stew/

I'll post back with whatever I end up tweaking with venison on this.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dirtclod Az.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I have Hank's book "Hunt, Gather, Cook right in front
of me... My Internet keeps cutting out so I need something
to read. (Christmas present)
I smoked a pork shoulder (butt) and Cornish Hens for
the "Supper" bowl so it's street taco Sunday! 💥
Cilantro...? YES, please.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I nailed it. It turned out exactly how I like it, and how my 17 yr old son likes it; but everyone else thought it was way too hot!! 🔥🌶
Good thing I had some baked chicken as backup for the naysayers, or it might have been ugly. lol

Oh well. Me and the boy will have some good lunches this week. Hahaha

I think what I need to do is sort the bags of frozen roasted Chiles better, so I know which are hot and which are not. And too, maybe grow some more mild Chiles . These were all Sandia Selects and G76 Hybrids.

I'll post a recipe of what I did before too long, but it was super easy. I like mine thick, as in stick to a spoon thick. I didn't need to add masa or any thickener with this batch. The potatoes and floured, browned antelope pieces did the trick. For those that like it soupier, adding more broth should work.

We ate the stew with warm tortillas and a salad. The tough, antelope front shoulder cooked down into tender, flavorful meat.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
It's morning in Iowa. 🌄 lol

I defrosted 2# of antelope shoulder last night. We'll see what I come up with later this afternoon.

Found this recipe, some good advice about deer/elk taking longer to cook in the stew.

https://honest-food.net/green-chile-stew-recipe/
Hey Prerylyon, just cooked up this green-chile stew from this recipe you posted, came out excellent, thx for posting this up

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
probly TMI but it seems regardless what I eat I make a bowl full of green chili most mornings. wouldn't recommend my brew though.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I just finished roasting, peeling and chopping my chili for tomorrows green chili stew. I used fresh Anaheim and Pablanos. ( 4 each). Diced up my venison also. Going to put it all in the crock pot in the morning. Having cornbread with it for tomorrows dinner. I ate some of the roasted chilis, couldn't resist, man they were good. Too early to get any Hatch Chilis.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I realized I never posted my recipe that I threw together for this. I'm kinda bad like that, cooking by taste as I go. Looking back, I basically followed Hank's recipe in the link I shared, but omitted the chicos corn and used a big can of College Inn chicken broth for the liquid. The antelope was browned in bacon drippings instead of vegetable oil, and I added 3/4 tsp of cumin instead of the full Tbs. My 'Hatch' Chile is grown in my garden here in Iowa, but I get the seed for the Sandia Selects directly from NMSU. The G76 seed came from a garden supply house. So much for appellation. Also, unlike Hank, I cooked mine down a bit more so it was stewy and sludgy, since I like it thick. It's a great, versatile meal. I like it warmed up on scrambled eggs for breakfast with warm tortillas the next day. Vacuum seal and freeze some to take to hunting camp for an easy, quick meal.

Last edited:

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
The only problem with Hatch chilies is that they are seasonal. Being right next to New Mexico (50 miles away), we get lots of fresh Hatch's in season.
I was referring to Hatches canned chilies. I buy the heck out of Hatches chilies when a guy from NM comes up here and roasts them in the Sport Shop parking lot. I usually buy a half bushel. Mmmmmm!

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy