Great lighting option

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
There is a new option for tent lighting some of you might check into. These lights are solar powered and use LED's. but what is great is you blow them up like beach ball and you get a nice glowing light as big as a grapefruit. You just leave them in the sun for a couple of hours and they last for a long time 6 hours or so. They give plenty of light to read by and when you let the air out and compress them they are 1/4 in thick and don't much at all. Cost about 15 bucks. Don't know the name but they do exist and work great. google it.. We just got them at our local outfitter store

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I've been using a couple of those for several years. I use aluminum foil and electrical tape before a trip to make a reflector on the one I use most, it makes a great reading light this way. I sleep on my stomach most times and I can set it in front of my improvised pillow and read until it's time to sleep.

lorthan

Aug 6, 2017
I got my Luci inflatable solar light on Amazon. It's bright though there's some condensation inside when you blow it up.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I saw those a couple of years ago and thought they were pretty cool. I did wonder how long the charge would keep it lit up, thanks for the info.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I use these a lot on backpacking trips. I back them up with a Nite-Ize Moonlit Micro Lantern. Those things have a good enough glow to fill a tent and they last forever (they say 60 hours, I've never found out) on a pair of CR2032 batteries. It only adds 0.5oz to my load which is awesome, and I like that it's the same batteries as my range finder...