Grand Trunk

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
https://grandtrunk.com/shop/air-bivy-extreme-shelter/

I picked up this set up today for my wife's deer hunt this week. I have been scouting for about 3 months and have a few deer on the list. As most they have shed their velvet and have moved off from their summer grounds and now I have to relocate the bucks. I want to be very mobile and I've wanted the hammock set up for awhile so I'm looking forward to getting off the ground and trying it out.

Anyone familiar with Grand Trunk?

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
My kids have a Grand Trunk and 2 Eno's. They just use it in the back yard. The Grand Trunk doesn't come with the straps like the Eno's do. The Eno straps are a lot better in my opinion but as far as the hammock style they are both the same. Not sure if I helped much but that's the difference from what I know. My brother in law used one on a spring fishing trip in WI. He said it slept good. They had a lot of wet weather while camping and he said the draw back was not having a tent to get in and keep clothes and gear dry.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I got the tree straps also. It comes with a tarp for rain that is pretty good size and should keep things dry.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Did you get 2 of them or who is sleeping on the ground under it? HAHA!!
Nope just one. Wife won't be camping with me. She will be on the ready when I have a buck tied to the tree by the rock. Keystones for celebration LOL!

By the way the dog will be sleeping under it.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Grand trunk is the way to go alittle bigger cheaper and Matthoe I think your a mistaken grand truck comes with the rope (strap) and eno does not. Eno straps are more but they both have the same end result.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Yes they do come with rope but the Eno strap is nicer for set up and how it is easy to cinch to variable trees and distances between trees in my opinion. But both are made from same material and will work great.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Wouldn't it get cold sleeping up in the air? Seems like wind blowing below you would freeze you
You are supposed to use a under quilt for hammocks. Something under the hammock that does not get compressed. Have not done it, but kind of intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv

This is my set up. I was really looking forward to trying the hammock and getting good nights rest. But how wrong I was. I could not get comfortable. I have a big sleeping bag in it to keep warm with the temps in the high 30's at night and was thinking I could just get down in the bag and call it a night. It was like sleeping in a mummy bag that was for a kid. I could barley move around in the hammock almost feeling cloister phobic. Maybe it was the sleeping bag but I didn't get much sleep. Either way it's not for me. Back to the tent for me.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
They have options to stay warm underneath. I use my neoair up under me. You can also buy a down quilt that wraps under the under the bottom of the hammock. Both work good but my neoair is lighter

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
The eno is a nicer strap. However they are 35 more dollars so you can get grand trunk double for around 50 with straps or buy eno with straps for 110. Grand truck is more roomie. I do like how I can tie nots in the grand trunk to the exact spot instead of dropping down to the next loop on the eno. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I was plenty warm but I think hammocks are fit the yard to take a nap in not the mountains. Lol

I'm resting comfortably in my tent now.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I was plenty warm but I think hammocks are fit the yard to take a nap in not the mountains. Lol

I'm resting comfortably in my tent now.
I agree! Hard to beat a good tent with good sleeping bag and pad. Hammocks are meant for hot summer days resting in the shade drinking some ice cold sweet tea.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Ya I think I will stick with my Alaknak tent for base camp and my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 for on the mountain.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have never tried a Grand trunk, but I spend up to 60 days every summer in a Hennessy Hammock. There are several styles, and you need to get the long if you are over six feet. Even in the summer, I need my neo air under me or will freeze even in a slight breeze. The plus is: the most comfortable sleep that I can get anywhere, I have even put it up in my loft at home when I was having hip problems and couldn't sleep in my bed. Sleep in your base layers as PJs, and use the sleeping bag like a blanket. I did have to upgrade to the "Typhoon Cover", which is just a bigger rain fly. My gear goes into dry bags under the hammock. The total package is about 3 1/2# and $250-$300. However, I never even considered using it for a hunting trip. If you read my post on the KUIU 2P tent evaluation, you will see why.