Gooseapalooza 2019-2020 ( Ducks too)

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Can you move the decoys 50-60 yards behind you, let the birds pass your blind and then shoot them in the back?

That has worked for me in the past.

I used to hunt with ONLY sleeper shells on the river....it was extremely deadly.

My buddy always ran 10 dozen big foots with flocked heads and we would pound 60D survey nails through their feet and into the ground to hold them down. It worked really well. 1 nail in the front and one in the back.
Yeah many options we can try. When we have lessers and greaters around I try an set a spread to make both happy.

Lessors feed aggressively and want to land in the front or top or direction of the feed. Greaters tend to want the space, land in a wide open hole or on the edge of the feed and walk in. We try to cater to both as much as we can. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Great flights this am. Stiff wind had em coming right into the hole......then slide right out. Couldnt keep the decoys upright. Ran a mix of sleeper shells, active shells and full bodys. Gonna remedy that next year with some square based Avery HD Prograde Honkers. Even with that we scratched out 1 fat greater. Huntin a corn field in the am that had a feed in it tonight. Fingers crossed.

Good luck! Try those cheap L-shaped tent stakes or big nails/spikes to keep your full bodies from tipping over, has worked for me.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Well thats a wrap!! We got one more yesterday. Could have had more but we were trying to land a big group of chickens! All in all a great time. Tons of lessons learned as we already start thinking about next year. The new Weston meat slicer is flat out awesome as we started making jerky last night.
20200216_192339.jpg
20200216_192336.jpg

The slicer is able to cut across the breast and get large pieces. Will use the High Mountain seasonings again as those seem to be the easiest and work the best. Lots of different flavors also.

Time to start prepping for turkey season!

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Well thats a wrap!! We got one more yesterday. Could have had more but we were trying to land a big group of chickens! All in all a great time. Tons of lessons learned as we already start thinking about next year. The new Weston meat slicer is flat out awesome as we started making jerky last night.
View attachment 29556
View attachment 29557

The slicer is able to cut across the breast and get large pieces. Will use the High Mountain seasonings again as those seem to be the easiest and work the best. Lots of different flavors also.

Time to start prepping for turkey season!

The Hi Mountain Kits rock... all we use!