Gooseapalooza 2019-2020 ( Ducks too)

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Lesson learned relearned. Replace the dang batteries in the diesel when the months of good operation is up. I tried getting some more out of them......2 degrees here yesterday.....and no start.
Walk to wally world.....only thing open that early.
Replace and in the pit by 1000. No flights in the late am.....went to a quick lunch.
Lesson learned relearned. Stay in the pit cold days. Came back from lunch to find 12 walking in the dekes. My son snucknin and whacked one.
Good flights at 330 pm but none decoyed.
Back at it this am.
Embrace the suck.

Reactions: gonhunting247

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I hunted with this guy in Hershey PA one time. He had a blind build right up against the highway fence down there overlooking a cow pasture. When It got daylight I looked out into his decoy spread (That he left out all season) birds were moving. I remember saying, "damn those birds look real...what kind of decoys are you using" he shined his flashlight out there and said "real ones".

He said it happened all the time. Birds would be migrating and land and sleep with his decoys all night long.

Wasn't a drop of water within a mile of that place either...

When it got light enough to shoot we flushed that flock like quail and filled about half out limit within 5 minutes of daylight.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Big winds today. Tough shooting. Birds were decoying well but 45 degrees off the pit. Moved the hole a few times. Moved the larger feed group a few times. Just couldnt get them on one line consistently. Add in the wind and it was trial and error aiming upwind most of the time regardless of direction of movement. Still a great day as we scratched and clawed one to the ground.20200206_161850.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Last day skunk😀
Oh well cant win em all!
Gooseapalooza phase 3 complete.
Day and a half for laundry and rest then phase 4 a final week long push to the close of dark geese Colorado Feb 16th.

Reactions: Bonecollector

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Besides jerky, you got any other homerun recepies for geese? Going to do hot Italian, smoked bologna, and pastrami, but got enough for one more batch and looking for another idea.
Good luck in the final days!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Besides jerky, you got any other homerun recepies for geese? Going to do hot Italian, smoked bologna, and pastrami, but got enough for one more batch and looking for another idea.
Good luck in the final days!
Todd has LOT of recipes for goose. I will get him to chime in, but you can start with this one if you haven't already seen it.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, Goose recipes... where to start?

You can use any of the Hi Mountain Jerky kits with Goose and they turn out awesome but if you want to eat it straight up here are some ideas...
Goose Rolls - slice it thin, marinate & roll up with a slice of bacon & jalapeno... smoke it for 20 minutes on a wood pellet grille and then crank the heat up and cook till medium rare.
Goose Stir Fry - Use any beef stir fry recipe but Szechuan Goose is my favorite-I also like noodles better than rice.
Goose Pad Thai - This is my favorite!
Smoked Goose Breast - Any pellet grille/smoker and various recipes but this is a crowd pleaser for sure.
Corned Goose - Corn it and then pressure can it or vacuum seal it so you can have goose reubens or corned goose hash any time you want.
Goose Pastrami - killer sandwiches
Deep Fried Goose Fingers - Just like steak fingers and any recipe for that will work. (my kids eat these by the pound!)

Get the picture? Just about anything you can do with beef or venison you can do with goose... the sky is the limit!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Great flights this am. Stiff wind had em coming right into the hole......then slide right out. Couldnt keep the decoys upright. Ran a mix of sleeper shells, active shells and full bodys. Gonna remedy that next year with some square based Avery HD Prograde Honkers. Even with that we scratched out 1 fat greater. Huntin a corn field in the am that had a feed in it tonight. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: THelms

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Great flights this am. Stiff wind had em coming right into the hole......then slide right out. Couldnt keep the decoys upright. Ran a mix of sleeper shells, active shells and full bodys. Gonna remedy that next year with some square based Avery HD Prograde Honkers. Even with that we scratched out 1 fat greater. Huntin a corn field in the am that had a feed in it tonight. Fingers crossed.

Can you move the decoys 50-60 yards behind you, let the birds pass your blind and then shoot them in the back?

That has worked for me in the past.

I used to hunt with ONLY sleeper shells on the river....it was extremely deadly.

My buddy always ran 10 dozen big foots with flocked heads and we would pound 60D survey nails through their feet and into the ground to hold them down. It worked really well. 1 nail in the front and one in the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottR and THelms