Gooseapalooza 2019-2020 ( Ducks too)

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'll be doing the same crazy run and gun couple of months mainly November 4th to Dec 3rd then Jan 16th till season closes . I usually hunt out I76 Hudson Co north east to the I80/I76 intersection then northwest up NE 26 to the NE/WYO border and back to I25 west of Guernsey. If anyone wants to go and has access to a feed feel free to PM me. I'll chase the X and show up with a full spread of decoys for early season lessors and then I'm able to transition to late season honkers in the cold so we could hunt almost any style or place. Good deal for someone who wants to learn as you don't need any dekes. I carry two layout blinds with me. All the best
Slugz

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Man, I wish I was closer. It'd be cool to learn, shoot, and eat a few. Plus hang with one of the forums best. :)
Not much bird hunting here in Ohio.

Reactions: Slugz

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Awesome offer Slugz and good luck! Road trip! I have two whitetail deer trips for the November time and work has extra meetings and classes booked too. But, let me look at January. 😎

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My dad has been in North Dakota for the last three days and so far they have shot 7 ducks....

He isn't happy with his overpriced outfitter. Thats a fact.

I am so glad I decided to go Elk hunting instead.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
My dad has been in North Dakota for the last three days and so far they have shot 7 ducks....

He isn't happy with his overpriced outfitter. Thats a fact.

I am so glad I decided to go Elk hunting instead.
Thats a bummer. All my friends up there are pounding the ducks and geese right now. Kinda wish I was there.

Slugz, are you able to secure permission on fields out that way easily? Seems like it gets a bit easier to hunt private the further west you get from KC.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thats a bummer. All my friends up there are pounding the ducks and geese right now. Kinda wish I was there.

Slugz, are you able to secure permission on fields out that way easily? Seems like it gets a bit easier to hunt private the further west you get from KC.
Its tough but doable. Lot of driving, chasing a feed, meeting a landowner in a good mood that hasnt already leased to an outfitter. Not wearing camo, offering a handshake and some elk jerky tends to work. ONx though has helped alot when hunting traffic fields ( public land)that normally people would overlook. Im really a rookie at this but id like to think my tenacity and willingness to knock on 10 more doors than the other guy helps a little. But who knows...

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Self deprecating. I learn the most that way and figure it makes someone laugh in this crazy world.
Day 1 of Gooseapalooza was a shit show.....and an utter awesome time. Started off with the truck dying in a corn field ( at 0400 am) while setting the dekes. Son said hey " dont you think you should crank the truck over" i was like na, it will be fine. Not so much.
So imagine you are driving down a dirt road early am going to work and find a man waving a flash light. You stop and asks for help to jump his truck. In a corn field. Luckily there are some great people still left in the world. Lady stops and jumps it.
Even after all that we got over 20 dozen dekes im time for shooting light.
Had ton of geese action and even a handfull of ducks working the spread. Not many dying though due to our poor shooting. 😀
Ill chalk that up to 1st day warm up.
Day ends with me forgetting about a hot wire and driving through it. Ever repair one while its hot? That was hilarious to say the least.
And who knew this could be just as much fun as September and bugling bulls.

20200121_072120.jpg
20200121_072740.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Day 2 scouting. Pretty good wind event yesterday so a full day of scouting from sunrise to sunset. Found another day roost on the river and plenty came out to feed for a little at last light. Hoping for a good one today.
IMG-20200122-WA0023.jpg

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The devil on my left shoulder:
Come in from the creek bank by that broken tree, stay low, get to the island, try to get that long vertical string of birds that are lined up.....bang...fetch birds.

The angel on my right shoulder:
There they are. Now lets find where they are feeding and be a good sport about it.

Hope you guys do good this week. Permission hard to get where you are at?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Nice!

How are you liking that new gun?
Well......even after getting all the factory grease/oil out of it.....it still doesnt like the cold and cycles slow. Shooting 3.5s BB Black Clouds with a Patternmaster choke. It swings well , crushes the birds and folds em up......when it works properly.

Im gonna put some heavier Wolfe springs in them and will see what that does. In addition to a stronger spring ive learned the rear corners of the bolt carrier are square but the aft end of the groove it rides in is round. I need to file the bolt carrier a little . Will see how that works. Not sure what to think if thats just part of the break in or what.

Last edited:
Reactions: Two_hatjack