Go heavy

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Agree with this logic as I've tested myself. Within 35 yards, there is no real difference. However, after 35+ yards, the heavier arrow does matter and provide better penetration.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Good article but nothing new IMO. I prefer a medium weight arrow so I get adequate speed and momentum. With my short draw of 27 inches and my bow set at 65lbs I shoot thru elk like there made of butter.

ELR

Apr 6, 2013
MN
Good article but nothing new IMO. I prefer a medium weight arrow so I get adequate speed and momentum. With my short draw of 27 inches and my bow set at 65lbs I shoot thru elk like there made of butter.
And what does your setup consist of? Arrow weight? Broad head? Bow speed?

hoshour

Veteran member
I am no archery equipment expert, but here's what occurs to me.

In the formula P=MxV where P=momentum, M=mass and V=velocity, it makes sense to me that it is the velocity at the target, not when the arrow leaves the bow that is critical.

If so, then coming up with momentum is not as simple as taking your arrow setup weight and multiplying it by the listed speed or even the chronograph reading a couple yards from your bow. You need the chronograph set up at 50 yards or whatever distance you are wanting the momentum for. If your max range is 70 yards, you should use the speed at that distance and multiply that times the weight of your arrow setup to find momentum.

You might find that a slower bow and heavier arrow loses a whole lot more velocity over that range than a fast bow and lighter, smaller diameter arrow.

You also need to factor in the number of cutting surfaces and whether it is a cut on penetration broadhead as well as the arrow diameter, thinner arrows creating less drag. Because that is almost impossible to quantify, ultimately the best non-hunting test is shooting into gel and measuring the penetration.