GMU 500 and 49

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
This is my first years as a non resident to my home state of colorado and still plan on hunting elk deer and antelope with my dad and family. I still have some points that i think carry over. I am looking into area 49 or 500 for an elk hunt for me and my dad just looking for anyones personal preffrence of these areas i know 49 very little just from the work i used to do in the area. I know there is a lot of public land in both units. We will be looking into archery or muzzloder. Any advice would be great thank you.

Roamer

Aug 15, 2014
Dillon Colo
We hunt deer in 49 every 2 to 3 yrs and we see a lot of elk and some are good ones.
Ive sheep hunted there as well and again saw a lot of elk. But its getting hard to draw elk from what I understand ,a buddy has 8 points for 1st rifle and didnt draw last yr Not sure what it takes for archery

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
it took 4 pts to guarantee last year with archery and 10 pts for muzzleloader. From past few years trends it looks like 4 pts will still guarantee an archery tag but it will probably take 11 pts to guarantee the muzzleloader. 1st rifle will take 10 pts at least and 2nd-4th rifle will take 4 pts.

Good luck!