Gloves and knee pads for mule deer hunting

the wanderer

Nov 14, 2012
Burlington, WI
My dad and I will be mule deer hunting in October with region E tags. We will be concentrating on units 96 and 97. Will it be in our best interest to have leather gloves and knee pads for stalking in these units? I have spots in both lower and higher elevation areas picked out to hunt. Of course adjustments may be made depending on what we?re seeing.

Thanks

tootallrosenwald

Apr 14, 2018
Leather gloves for sure. Knee pads wouldn?t be a bad idea either. A lot of cover is only knee high, if you know what I mean?

Too Tall

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I like the knee pads that come with Sitka pants. Sometimes they are a bit low on the knee for me but I can usually adjust them to make it work. I just like the are intergraded in the pants.

I’ve also used cheap slip on pads too that also are very light and pretty much stay in place.

Mechanic work gloves are breathable on the tops and leather on the palms. They work well too.

Good luck on your hunt

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I prefer not to wear any. Then weeks, if not months after the hunt when I'm pulling out cactus spines from my hands, and knees, it brings back memories of the hunt;)

DU4LIFE25

Sep 24, 2015
Wisconsin
I would agree, mechanics gloves or tactical gloves are the ticket. I learned the hard way the first time I went to Montana and stuck my hand in a cactus on a stalk. It made me stand up and take notice real quick.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Deerskin leather gloves are great,until they get soaking wet and it freezing outside.Had That experience .are great for dry conditions like Az. hunts:cool:

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
+1 on the leather gloves. Knee pads suck once you start sweating. I carry a pair of hard plastic ones in my pack. But never have put them on at the time of need.
One thing more important is duct tape. Use it to pull out those fine "quills". Oh yes don't sit on cactus like I have done numerous times.
Picture this: "An old guy with his pants down around his ankles while his son is pulling cactus quills from his butt cheeks!" Not pretty.