Gloves and jackets

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
Spent some time hunting in some chilly rain the past few days. Looks like I need to upgrade my gloves and my jacket.

What packable waterproof jacket are you guys useing and how well do they fare when you are on the move?

As for gloves, well my cheapo sportsmans warehouse lasted about an hour before they were soaked through and my hands were done.

Ideally I would like to get one pair of waterproof gloves either non-insulated or with a little insulation that I can use for rifle and bow hunting. I doubt those exists, so what kind of gloves are you guy's using for each and are they really waterproof?

Quiethunter

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
For a jacket, I use Team Realtree Paclite Gore-tex in max-1. I picked mine up from camofire.com when they had it on sale. I dress in layers beneath it including a packable down jacket and a camo fleece when needed. As long as dressing in layers it works well enough.
For gloves, I use lightweight wool gloves. They still keep me warm when wet and they dry out quickly. I find waterproof with insulation don't work well when I need to shoot, glass, do things with my hands due to bulk.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
no glove in the world will keep your hands dry if you are using your hands to grab stuff.

get a pair of wool mittens that have the top flip over. your hands will be wet, but warm. and when you are ready to pulll the trigger, your fingers will still work.

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
Check out the Kuiu Chugach rain gear.
Breaths really well and keeps you dry, not almost dry but truly dry. Really light weight and works great as wind stopper. Best rain gear I have ever had by far. Everything else I have had did not breath enough to keep you dry when walking. All the Kuiu products are very high quality. Spent a couple days in Wyoming antelope hunting in pretty horrible weather and stayed dry.

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
That kuiu gear looks really slick. Ive never heard of it before but im take it into consideration. I like how they have a diagram of how it works and what separates it from others. Priced about the same as all other top of the line light weight rain gear as well.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I got some cabela's dry plus pants and a jacket for an Alaskan fishing trip in 2005 and they have performed great every time. comfortable, breathable, easy off and on in the field, lightweight.

When it comes to rain gear, don't bargain shop. Get something that will breathe and keep you dry, is durable and fits well.

Last edited:

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
i got the under armour set for me and my son and they are a great outer layer to keep you dry. What i also liked about them is they are light and quiet as well. Regular price on them is around 300 for the set but found a killer sale at the local outlet mall under armour store and got the two sets for a little over 300. Used them on my sons blackpowder elk hunt and neither of us got wet in the rain or snow. Not very warm for cold or later weather, but work great with a good base layer or for the early season.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I agree.. the under armour stuff is amazing. I used it while I was elk hunting this year and I fell in a big puddle, my pants dried within 10 minutes. I even went jogging in the rain and it kept me dry and warm :) It is definitely pricey but I think it is well worth it.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
Thanks guys.

I have heard that no gloves will keep you dry, but to go with wool. That is probably what I will have to do.

As for the jacket - I have looked into the Kuiu stuff (his shop is probably 15 miles from my house), but I don't want to jump on that band wagon just yet. It is pricey and I want to make sure it lasts a few seasons before I go for it. I was hoping to pick up a sitka downpour jacket ( i have the pants and love them), but I am a cheap guy and was not willing to pay that much for something new. As of right now I just picked up a Cabelas MT050 packable jacket (on sale at Cabelas). I am hoping it works out well, but the breathability will be key this winter as I do a lot of hiking. Hope if I layer right it will work ok.