Giving him till morning

westernwannabe

Apr 15, 2011
Southeast, Ohio
My first post wasn't meant to start an arguement. I stated that I was surprised that noone brought up the ethical card. And I still am.

-Antelope gets shot at 1,010 yards and dies instantly. People throw a fit.
-Deer gets shot at 21 yards and suffers all night. Nobody says a word.
I have no problem with someone shooting a animal at a 1000 yards ,but I think you could get your point across better if you weren't trying to compare it to bow hunting. You attacking all bow hunters just because a few of them attacked you. Just go shoot your deer at 1000 and let them shoot theirs at 20. Your not going to change them and their not going to change you. Just leave well enough alone and everybodys happy:)

Last edited:

Steakhunter

Sep 25, 2011
Southern Ohio
I like your outlook!!! I heard whitetail is sum good eating. That's one of my goals in life.
I'd tell you to come on over some evening and I'd fix you up with the best deer steaks I can make and an ice cold beverage of your choice, but I see your from NV and that would be one heck of a drive for deer steak and beer. Maybe we could kill a deer or two if that made it a little more worth while.

Steakhunter

Sep 25, 2011
Southern Ohio
Even though he didn't address any of my points, this post would make a lot more sense to people if they could see what I wrote.
Elkholic307 No I did not address any of your points, but as you stated at the begining of this thread I was not around to even know what it is that you are talking about. Maybe if you reiterated what it was you were referring to, your post may have made a lot more sense to me. Also a little hard to pay a lot of attention to posts like "Shoot it with a gun or bow", "I take it you didn't find him", and ones that start with "No offense Steakhunter" when Im hearin people that are explaining to me what the unethical thing being spoke of is and congradulating me on the whitetail. Not stirring crap here but not taking any either. If I was so unhappy with this unfair and crappy forum, I'd probabally go look for another forum, but then again, I kinda like this forum. But I'll end this the same way as always. Elkholic get your gun or bow, go get DRhorsepower and his gun or bow, get in the truck and drive your butts to Ohio. I'll buy the beer, may even have a vacant apartment to put you up in, and well all go shoot, deer, turkey, squirels, or carp....whatevers in season when you get here!

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I had a couple deer points so I the next few years so who knows, I'll be heading that way again in the next few years. I took my antelope up there last year so it'll be a while before I build enuogh points there again!

Steakhunter

Sep 25, 2011
Southern Ohio
I had a couple deer points so I the next few years so who knows, I'll be heading that way again in the next few years. I took my antelope up there last year so it'll be a while before I build enuogh points there again!
Im in southern ohio all you need is an out-of-state liscense and a deer tag I can check on prices for you if you want. Shotgun season is coming end of next month.

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
Elkholic get your gun or bow, go get DRhorsepower and his gun or bow, get in the truck and drive your butts to Ohio. I'll buy the beer, may even have a vacant apartment to put you up in, and well all go shoot, deer, turkey, squirels, or carp....whatevers in season when you get here!
Sounds good to me. I'd like to get a midwestern whitetail.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Thanks for offer. I have two kids here one being a newborn and going through medic school. My time is occupied to the max. Also going to Peru on a medical internship so money is also getting maxed out this year.

I haven't been one day out in the field this year! I remember my single days and no kids days I was living out there. Now the only time i see sage brush is in the morning when I take my dog for a run behind my house! Small sacrifice though and temporary. I have a son and daughter and getting a good education.

Reflex

Apr 21, 2011
Lincoln, NE
Well,

I have kept out of this squabble until now, but I guess this is as good a place as any to put in my 2 cents.

First off, I couldn't agree more with Drhorsepower on hunters finding common ground rather than divisive issues.

I, for one, am not interested in debating the merits or demerits of long range hunting, whatever that means to different people. I appreciate all varying types of hunting and having some arbitrary range number that is ethical or unethical does little to settle any such debate. My opinion is hunters should be reasonably certain that they are going to make a fatal hit at whatever range they make a shot - that goes for bow or rifle. I understand that misses and bad hits happen at all sorts of ranges with all sorts of weapons.

There are some people that have an opinion that long range harvests are unethical. They are entitled to that opinion, and I think they can post that opinion, as long as they are civil about it. I also think that long range hunters are entitled to post about their harvests, as long as they are civil.

The history that Elkoholic posted about earlier, was a different sort of problem, in my opinion. Here is how I saw it: A former forum member posted a long-range harvest. The poster wrote about having the animal at a shorter range, but then left the animal and went a substantial distance simply to increase the difficulty of the shot. Many forum members took issue with this. The posting member then attacked other forum members, myself included (even though I had not posted anything on his thread), personally in his posts, bragged about violating game laws, and finally posted insults about the hosts of this forum and their family before being removed from the forum.

As Drhorsepower proposed, we should find common ground, and bringing this issue up in a 21 yard bow harvest thread is counterproductive to that goal. Comparing this incident to the long range harvest thread that sparked the issue, is incongruent, unless the facts in this thread included having the deer at 21 yards and spooking it to 150 yards, to increase the difficulty of the archery shot.

To Steakhunter,

I think you did a great job on a great buck.
Well said!!!!!!!!!!