Given' Up/Cashing in my Points

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
I have given up waiting to accumulate enough Elk Preference Points to hunt the Northwest Corner.
After turning 61 years old in February, I still can't catch the point creep even with 29 preference points under my belt.
Speaking with several Colorado Agents and Outfitters, it is of the general consensus that I would probably not draw until I am in my seventies. Apparently I started collecting point 2-3 years too late. Seems like I am always 2 points shy of drawing the NW corner. Had I known this when I was younger, I would never had started wasting my time and money. I now know how Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme victims felt.
With that said, I have put in for a Unit 61 Muzzleloader Tag. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I draw.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With that many points you should draw the muzzle loader tag in 61.

Even being a resident I was in the same situation as you find yourself a number of years ago. I decided to draw a different unit rather than wait and hope that they would allow a mechanized wheelchair for me to use up in the north west corner of Colorado to chase elk. So I decided to put in for unit 61 muzzle loader at the same age as you are.

While 61 doesn't have the huge elk that the other units have it does contain respectable bulls in the 350 range, with some larger. I believe that when I drew 61 that it took a non resident 20 or so points to draw. For a resident it was only 15 and I went in with 17.

If you decided to go with a outfitter there are a number of good ones in 61 which is nice. The main roads are up on top of the unit and you have to hunt down to the elk, at our age horses are a great benefit to get them out.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Unless a bunch of guys decide to apply for 61 with more points you will draw this year. My son has 27 points and you probably will lessen his chance of drawing. Good luck.

Reactions: Hatchet Jack

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
He will apply for the muzzleloader tag too. I drew unit 10 about 14 years ago with 18 points and now it's 30 so unless your in that group you may as well use them up. Only hope is that everyone does the same that have more points so you could move up.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you haven't looked at the odds report 29 NR points should be guaranteed tag.

27 is on the border of tag/no tag. But I'm betting that he'll draw.

Naturally both depend on others with more points jumping into unit 61 muzzle loader

Attachments

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I drew a rifle bull tag for 61 last year, but because I had back surgery in July, turned it in and got my points back. I have a 4th season cow tag in a unit right next to 61 this year that didn't cost me any points. 61 comes next year.

Did you hunt with Garvey Bros?

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Good lookign bull!

Looking at the hammer on that gun, I don't think you took a 200 yard shot - throw us some details.