Getting ready any help?

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
On my last trip to Wyoming I worked up to walking 3 to 4 miles a day. I was in pretty good walking shape for the hunt. What got me the most was the cattle tracks. Not sure of any way to train for that. Is it just me or does this give other problems.

I have already started for this years trip. I am up to 3 miles 3 days a week. I plan to work up to 5 mile prior to the mid October hunt. I am a couple years older and plan to hunt deer in a area that requires a 6 mile pack in. Elevation is 6 to 8,000. For a guy that lives at 350 feet that test my lungs.

Reactions: LCH

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
As a life long runner, walking bores me. BUT, the slow creep of aging catches up with us all and we have to pay heed to it. So now at 67, my primary preparation for western hunts is what the military call "rucking". Keep your weight in check, maintain general fitness at all times as best you can, and several months before a hunt out west start the ruck. Work up to it...walk wearing good footwear, slowly extending the distance and increasing speed, then start to add some weight to a pack, and also hiking poles to work your upper body and add stability.