Frequency of muscle groups at 66 years old.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I’m determined to get in better shape this year. Cardio will be on the menu at least five days a week. As far as building strength goes, I don’t know how often to work the muscle groups. Arms, legs, back, abs and upper body. I’m 66 years old, 5‘ 10” and 202 lbs. Completely out of shape. Also any supplements?
Advice?

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I would agree.
To add start off slow and work your way up! If you don’t it’s real easy to quit because it hurts and it can be unforgiving at first.

I’m also starting back to getting into shape. Walking to start. Try to get 10k steps in a day. Drink lots of water and try to eat well. Very basic and easy to do.

If you want to do the gym then a trainer might be a real good idea. I hate the gym so I go to the hills by my house to get my workouts. I also have a recombinant bike and a stair stepper at home I will also use.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Good advice above. As far as supplements, if you get a trainer they will probably recommend something. If you don’t, go with what tastes the best to you, if you can’t drink/eat it, you won’t use it. A bunch of options out there now and I think they are all similar for what’s in them.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I've been an athlete since I was young, 43 now, forever I've tried to come up with the "perfect workout plan" and I've finally realized that going to the gym once a week and doing "whatever" is better than doing the perfect workout once a month here and there etc...

push, pull, legs, you can work your whole body, although I prefer to split it up in to 2 workouts. ie bench, row, legs, 1 day another day you can do pull ups, military press, legs, 3 compound lifts will do it.

my goal for 2024 is to lift the full body once a week for the year....

get 40-50g of protein at breakfast and dinner.

Reactions: Mr Drysdale

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
just remeber geeting in shape is not quick or easy, but it is needed. Go for the long term route. I have been in shape all my life and in my mid 50's. Work out dvds or youtube videos are a better option than going to a gym for me.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I am not a bodybuilder or fitness expert by any means. However i do go to the gym 4 days a week. My 63 year old father joined me for 6 months and was doing great. We were seeing good results too. Please keep in mind this man never worked out a day in his life so i kept it really simple and easy because i wanted him to come back. I broke it down like this for him. Day 1 Back, Day 2 Biceps/Triceps, Day 3 Legs, Day 4 Chest. These would be low weight high rep workouts. A lot of our workouts were focused soley on getting his range of motion better. He couldnt reach down and tie his own shoes when we started. I also had him do 1 mile on the eliptical to start our workout. This was a very easy workout. Unfortunately he caught pneumonia and covid and I havent been able to get him back in the Gym since. I think mainly he got lazy again and he probably was doing it more for me than himself. And we all know if you are motivated to help yourself, you will never do it.

Reactions: Mr Drysdale

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I hit the gym the past two days with cardio both days and arms/upper body the first day. Thinking legs the third day and repeat. i am a very disciplined person and when I set my mind to something I usually complete it. Also I didn’t mention that I had a hip replacement in 2018. No problems with it at all although they did tell me not to water ski or run marathons. Also drinking a lot of water and eating right. No sweets, bread or potatoes.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I would recommend full body workouts to start, three times per week 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 20 reps. there is certainly more than one way to skin a cat. I also would recommend a trainer. I’m biased though, I am one and did for 20 years and have been in the industry for 25. Be careful with supplement recommendations because technically, unless a registered dietitian, supplement and menu plans should not necessarily be provided. It’s a tricky piece in the industry. In most states it’s outside the scope of practice. Just some food for thought.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I would recommend full body workouts to start, three times per week 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 20 reps. there is certainly more than one way to skin a cat. I also would recommend a trainer. I’m biased though, I am one and did for 20 years and have been in the industry for 25. Be careful with supplement recommendations because technically, unless a registered dietitian, supplement and menu plans should not necessarily be provided. It’s a tricky piece in the industry. In most states it’s outside the scope of practice. Just some food for thought.
what he said…