Forstner bits for case trimming

May 14, 2018
Anyone ever used forstner bits to trim down brass cases. Found a set at harbor freight for a good price and would like to know if it would work.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Seems like it would be very difficult to get a clean edge unless you have a drill press and a jig for holding the case absolutely in place.
Also most tools from HF are so cheap because you get exactly what you pay for.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For trimming cases just bite the bullet and purchase a case trimmer with the associated pilots for the calibers. They even make power ones if you don't like turning a crank. This way it will be done and done proper with the cases locked into a holder and a stop set up to keep you from trimming too much off.

As for HF tools, they might be cheap but their quality will equal just about any of the high end tools out there. I have a number of their tools that I have been using for the last 25-30 years and they are still going strong even if I did purchase them with the idea of just getting one use out of them. But you do have to watch what you purchase from them just for the reason that some of their items are close to being junk. But useful junk if you don't mind dealing with it.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Anyone ever used forstner bits to trim down brass cases. Found a set at harbor freight for a good price and would like to know if it would work.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Just purchase a relatively inexpensive case trimming die or a hand trimmer with caliber appropriate mandrels AND get your hands on a cartridge minimum / maximum case length chart so you'll know how much to trim off "if any", what your asking is ridiculous.