Fishing license for cheaper way to get points only?

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
I did not hunt in CO last year for the first time in a few years so I'll be out the $40 points fee for three species. Can I buy a fishing license and not have to incur the $40 per species charge? if so how much is the fishing license?

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Yes you can. You need to buy "last years" fishing license before March 31st. It will expire March 31st though, rendering it useless. It is cheaper than the preference point fee but you'll have to look and see how much a non- res fishing license is though.

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
thanks - looks like the non resident fishing license is $56.00 so if I'm applying for more than one species it would make sense to do that

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Ya because there is a ridiculous 5 day overlap to get screwed, I suggest buying your 2016 fishing license now as well just to prevent a $154 mistake next year. That's what I do. Some of these states have some real scams to take advantage of invested sportsmen. This is almost as ridiculous as Maine's $55/10 moose bonus point packs.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I did not hunt in CO last year for the first time in a few years so I'll be out the $40 points fee for three species. Can I buy a fishing license and not have to incur the $40 per species charge? if so how much is the fishing license?
Don't know what the3 price is, but go on their website and look. As a senior citizen resident I get one free. The NR resident options go from 1 day to 5 day to Annual. Don't know if the shorter restricted days license qualify, but that might be a cheaper option.

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
From the 2016 CO Regulations;

"PREFERENCE POINT FEES
» HOW IT WORKS. If you do not hold an active 2015 annual* or big-game license, or do not receive a license through the draw, you will be charged $40 PER SPECIES (for elk, deer, pronghorn and bear) for which you get a preference point. This fee applies to residents and nonresidents. However, residents getting deer or pronghorn prefer- ence points will be charged only $30 for each of those.
For example: If a nonresident (who isn’t exempt from the fee) receives a point for all four species, they will be charged $160. A resident would be charged $140.
» HOW TO AVOID IT. If you don’t want to pay the fee, you have until March 31, 2016, to purchase a 2015 annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license.
» HOW WILL I BE CHARGED FOR IT? If you are charged the preference-point fee,
it will be deducted from your 2016 big-game application refund(s). For example, if you’re a resident and apply for a deer license or preference point and don’t draw (and you are not exempt from the fee) you will receive a $1 refund.
* ANNUAL LICENSES INCLUDE: annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license. Any returned licenses do not qualify."

The bottom line is that if you apply for more than one species as a NR and didn't have a tag last year it will save you money if you buy a 2015 $56 qualifying license by 3/31/16. For example two animals $80 point fees vs $56 license a $24 savings, three animals $120 point fees vs $56 license a $64 savings, four animals $160 point fees vs $56 license a $104 savings, etc. If you are only applying for one animal don't buy the license as the $40 preference point is obviously cheaper than the $56 license...

Horniac

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Tell me about it! I only wanted a pt for deer so the 56$ fishing or small game of furbearer didn't sound that great. There will be more than enuff applicants to make up for the money im not sending!

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
If you buy the fishing license, do you actually get points for all species? Moose included? Also, you can simply buy a fishing license every year and not apply for the drawing until you for sure will draw a specific tag? This seems like a much easier option.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
You still have to apply for pt for each species every year to get the points
If you buy the fishing license, do you actually get points for all species? Moose included? Also, you can simply buy a fishing license every year and not apply for the drawing until you for sure will draw a specific tag? This seems like a much easier option.

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Can i purchase the 2015 annual fishing license AND apply at the same sitting for my 2016 deer/elk points, or do i have to log out n wait for fishing license to come??

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Can i purchase the 2015 annual fishing license AND apply at the same sitting for my 2016 deer/elk points, or do i have to log out n wait for fishing license to come??
I would purchase the fishing license tonight and then wait at least a day before applying for my points or permits. At least let it have some time to get into the system and if you need to you can show that the license was purchased on 3/28/2016.

But time is getting close.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It's 31st. Did I miss the boat on this or is Midnight the cutoff?
I would go to the buy license site and see if it is still available. If it is then you should be good.

I just took a quick look and on my information it is no longer available but you still might want to check.

Last edited:

BurrellTX

Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Nice!
Did you do fishing license n points at one sitting?
No I plan on applying for points tomorrow. Just been real busy with work. Question, when you enter the code for the points for each game animal does it charge you just for the points like Utah? Or is it the full payment for the animal, then credits back everything but the point fee later on?

62straight

May 15, 2015
Will they use this system for 2016/2017 license/points? Should we buy a fishing license this yr in anticipation for 2017 pts?