First Time Antelope Hunters Few Questions

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Happy new year all. My hunting buddy and I have acquired a few points going into this years hunt. I have 6 and my partner has 4. We are trying to figure out how to draw a tag. We have been unsuccessful twice in the past. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I am hoping with the number of points we have we should be able to score something.

My first question is since I have 6 points and my buddy has for will we have 4 going into the draw or do they average the points out so we will have 5?

I have been an Eastmans member for several years and have been reading the MRS over ad over again and it has some great info but trying to figure out how to put areas in so we get drawn has been confusing to me.

Second question is should we put in for a blue chip unit (e.g. 60, 61, 57, 58) for our first choice and then put in for a green chip unit that has the possibility of getting drawn for a second choice or forgo the green chip unit all together and put in for something else? We really want to hunt this year and I don't want to screw up the application process AGAIN.

Or do we put in for a green chip unit first and then some other unit. I am not sure where we sit with the number of points we have. We plan on flying our small airplanes up there and then renting a truck and finding a hotel and then driving to the hunting areas each day. Not exactly roughing it but we are new. Have given thought to getting a guide but we really would rather do a DIY hunt.

Thank you in advance for any advice I might get here. Obviously we don't want anyone to give away their hot areas but it sounds like there is plenty of good antelope hunting in Wyoming and just want to hunt without wasting the accrued points we have.

Oh and one more question. We are also hoping to do some coyote hunting while we're out there. How are the coyote numbers out there? We hunt them a lot here in Kentucky.

Cheers

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
With an average of 5 points, in the special draw, there's only a few units down in the Red Desert (57, 58, 60, 61) area that you wouldn't be able to guarantee a draw. You're two points behind on the aforementioned units, and with 3-7% draw odds, you could be in for a healthy wait.
Other than those 4, you could draw any unit in the state.. If it were me, I'd pick an area that has the best balance between lots of public, and limited tags, in an area of the state that I'm interested in seeing, with season dates I like.

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Fink gave you some good advice. It is hard to have a bad antelope hunt in Wyoming. With 5 points I would look at area 62. The drought has hurt trophy potential. So be aware of that, plenty of coyotes. Good luck!

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
The drought has hurt a lot of the trophy potential but they are definitely still down there. Especially in the red desert area. It is hard to have a bad antelope hunt in Wyoming. There are lots of coyotes down that way too.,. Please kill them all.

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the useful info. Area 62 was actually an area we were looking at since we may have an outside chance at drawing it with 5 points. The other areas in that area according to looking at the data suggest a long wait and we really want to hunt this year.

It's hard to understand the data at times so picking a second choice is where we are having some issues.

Thanks again for the help. I'd appreciate anything else info wise to make this a memorable hunt.

Fish

Jul 8, 2011
WA State
I you look at all the green chip areas and look at the draw odds for them, you will find you probably won't be able to draw any of them as a second choice. You really only have one choice when it comes to drawing a trophy area in WY. The drought may effect the draw odds on those red desert areas this year, making it easier to draw one of them. If it were me sitting on all those points, Id wait until the last week to apply and see what the spring weather brings to your hunt area. No use blowing all those points to kill a 75-78in buck in a hard to draw trophy area. There are tons of left over tags in areas where you can do that for a small trespass fee if you still what to hunt antelope.

brooks

Aug 3, 2011
New Mexico
Im not sure what blue chip and green chip really is but any area you put in for and draw on your 1st choice you will get the tag and loose all your points. If you draw your 2nd choice you will get the tag and keep your points. With all your points I would only put in for real good areas for 1st choice. As far as an outfitter you really don't need one uless you're looking for a record book trophy. Antelope hunting in WY is pretty easy because they are just about everywhere. Good luck.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Save your points and hunt Does in your target unit or 2nd choice bucks in a scrub unit. Get things figured out then burn the points when drawing your target unit is a lock. You won't have enough points to draw a top unit again for a long long time.
You can get 4 Doe tags each if you pick the right unit or combine a cpl units and the left over draw.

DANRED

Jan 26, 2013
WapitiBob,

I am new to this forum and to antelope hunting. I am trying to plan a hunt myself, but have no points. I see your comment above about getting four doe tags if you combine units. How can you combine units, I thought all the tags had to come from the same unit. I am probably asking a dumb question but right now it's pretty confusing.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
WapitiBob,

I am new to this forum and to antelope hunting. I am trying to plan a hunt myself, but have no points. I see your comment above about getting four doe tags if you combine units. How can you combine units, I thought all the tags had to come from the same unit. I am probably asking a dumb question but right now it's pretty confusing.
For example, you can get a doe tag in unit 73 then one in 25 another in 26 and then one in 29 If you wanted, some units you can get multiple tags for that one unit, but are allowed up to 4 doe tags for the state.