First thread on a great forum

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I wanted to the first one to post a thread!! How cool am I......

Question I have:
I enjoy hunting with the family, but I find myself conflicted. I seem to have more desire to spike out on my own. Does that make us "no fun"? It is hard to find a balance.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I think you will find out that your question is one that we all have. The balance is one that IMO only you will have the answer for. Great question.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I enjoy camping with my wife on hunting trips,
I enjoy mentoring and "guiding" my kid and inexperienced hunters (by no means am I a guide),
I enjoy the camaraderie of hunting camp,
but I only really "hunt" when I'm own my own.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I enjoy camping with my wife on hunting trips,
I enjoy mentoring and "guiding" my kid and inexperienced hunters (by no means am I a guide),
I enjoy the camaraderie of hunting camp,
but I only really "hunt" when I'm own my own.
Very well put. I would tend to agree with that.

Dearhunter3450

Feb 13, 2014
Upstate New York
I enjoy goose hunting and ice fishing with my buddies but I really prefer to hunt big game on my own. I guess I want to hunt how I want to hunt. I think big game hunting is a personal experience if that makes sense. My wife wants me to take friends to Wyoming this fall and thinks I will be bored going alone. I'm thinking I will be ok lol!

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I have solo hunted most years I have hunted so far. I have also had family along, and friends. I like it all, and at times others can affect the time it takes to make a go/no go decision.
Although a deck of cards, or closest shot to center for the who's first to shoot is always fun.

My last thought will be your first thought as it will be all of ours when solo hunting....it goes like this.

"OMG!!!!!! I can not believe it I just stuck a monster bull!!!!!!!! I am so excited..... Oh shit....I am three miles deep and alone....wish I had help now....."

I have been very fortunate so far that with an elk down help was close or with me. Deer I don't worry so much about.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I wanted to the first one to post a thread!! How cool am I......

Question I have:
I enjoy hunting with the family, but I find myself conflicted. I seem to have more desire to spike out on my own. Does that make us "no fun"? It is hard to find a balance.
You can find a balance. There is something to be gained hunting with your family but I also believe a man needs time to himself as well. In the early years with my wife I didn't know how to communicate that. My wife truly started enjoying hunting when I started being straight forward with her on when I wanted her along and when I did not. Before she would be hesitant and question whether I really wanted her there because she could tell at times that I did not. Now the question is simply "is this a guys trip, or a family hunt?" Set aside time for both, and everyone is happy in my house.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
1/2 of why I hunt is to get some time to myself away from the world. Hunting with friends and family can be fun and a good experience but I have been more successful hunting on my own and part of that is from researching and finding better areas instead of going along where my friends/family had gone for years.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I am in the same boat. I want to at least do one western hunt by myself, and go in as far as I can or want to. Stay as long as I want to/can as well.

On the flip side.....I agree with Oregon Jim as well. So both aspects can be fun. But when I am by myself in our deer woods over here, I can really soak it all in, and I tend to enjoy it immensely.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I honestly hate hunting alone, it's just my preference to have a good friend with me or my family. I love sitting around a fire at night shooting the breeze or sitting in a high basin and glassing together as we talk about the what if's. The sad thing is all my friends have moved away after college and I end up going by myself more than I care. Anyone want to be my hunting partner:cool: haha

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
For a long time I elk hunted and camped with a one good friend that hunted the same way I do hard!! He passed away so I have been hunting Solo since and a few times before he passed. Even though I really enjoy the freedom of hunting alone and being able to move around with the animals there is something to be said about hunting with a good friend. This year I have a good friend that has been wanting to go and has committed to go. To be honest it will be nice to have someone to hunt with in the high country.

Mountain Matt

Nov 11, 2012
Surprise Arizona
I enjoy hunting alone, actually I prefer it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy family and friends but, there is just something about being in the wilderness(or desert) by myself. I can hunt where I want, when I want and how I want. I guess it's kind of a mountain man feeling when They would go out by themselves and explore new country. To me that is really special especially no that I live in Arizona and I have a lot of new country and hunt units to explore

Hycntryhtr

Feb 22, 2014
north colorado
I enjoy going back to AZ and hunting with my dad and closest friends, but i found out I am smarter and kill bigger animals solo. Moving to Colorado and not knowing anyone, I've learned that there are times you love hunting with family and friends and there are those times where you are better off solo.. Till you knock a full sized elk down then.. Well as said before.. Shit, I wish I had help. Best of luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
This is a good thread addressing an issue that I have given a lot of thought over the years because I hunt by myself so often. Hunting with family and/or friends is great, as many of you have stated. However, usually it isn't quite the same as when hunting solo. I think one of the most important aspects of hunting solo is that you can use your intuitive/instinctive reasoning without having to justify your choices to your partner. It's the freedom to follow your instincts and deep seeded senses that sometimes can not be rationally explained but so often produce results. :)

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
I share your conflict. If you have time in the seasons do the weekend hunts as spike out solo ventures. Maybe check out those spots you couldn't get to when you were hunting with the family at base camp. If the family is comfortable with it, perhaps you could go coyote out in a basin a couple-three miles from a base camp for a night and hunt back to camp.

If the Family hunt is in a more settled place (Like what I grew up doing in CA); Sometimes you have to look for a tag or species that will force you to do a solo backpack hunt at a different time of season than the traditional Family hunt. Then you serve as campjack, wrangler and cook for the family hunt if you don't have a tag .

Sometimes you just have to modify your expectations. Instead of an 8 day/80 mile backpacking trip on the CDT through the Wind Rivers last summer, I took my parents (73 and 69) with them on horseback and me afoot on a 5 day/38 mile trip on the lower half of the CDT. I'll probably never get another chance to take my mother into the wilderness like that again.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
That trip in the Wind Rivers would be pretty cool. I am jealous of that trip. Is the lower half by Big Sandy?

I agree with all the posts, I think there needs to be a balance. I enjoy going with family and friends, but I also need some time alone. My grandpa could always out work anyone who went with him and could not sit still, so he would have some solo treks with whoever went with him. I tend to worry a little more about others when I am with a group. If I was to get lost or something I would just deal with it. If my wife and kids were lost or hurt with me, that would be a lot worse. I am also the time of person who needs some time alone anyway, so hunting with someone when I am already ready for solo time can be too much and not enjoyable. For safety I think wilderness trips should probably have two people, but sometimes solo ones are the most rewarding. Someone you don't want to hit on the head with a rock and leave there in the wilderness would probably be a good choice. Just kidding.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Great topic ttt, I can relate. I really feel rewarded when I do everthing from start to finsh alone, but at the same time I often wish there was someone to share the experiance with. I really like hunting alone, but camping alone is not my favorite. Packing meat alone has it's challanges too, thankfully I haven't had too many experiances of solo meat packing. I have friends and family that will usually come help once the animal is on the ground. They seem to enjoy packing meat more than hunting, I never really understood that??

As I grew older and my expectations and overall enjoyment for being in the woods increased, nearly all of the people I used to hunt with didn't follow suite. When ever I do hunt with others I usually end up having to tell everyone in the group what to do, where to go ect..that gets a little overbearing sometimes.

I like to take my girls hunting, and when I do, I don't want to have a tag, it's all about them. When I have a tag I prefer to be alone more often than not.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
ATW, Yes we came out at Big Sandy. Spent the night at Big Sandy Lodge. Took some logistics to get Vehicles and stock arranged but it worked out well.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
That is a really cool area. We met one guy on the trail a couple of years ago who was hiking the whole CDT from Mexico to Canada. Pretty incredible.