First Lite outer layers

Coyoteman

Aug 14, 2011
Wrong side of ND.
Im looking at picking up some of the First Lite merino wool outer layers. I love merino wool base layers, so why not get some outer layers too I figure.

Anyone have any experience with the outer layer stuff like the Gila pants and Labrador sweater? Mainly concerned with how tough it is and how color fast the color is in it. Id hate to spend all that money and have it faded out real quick.

Thanks

chuffness

May 7, 2011
I would also like to hear someones response to this.. Everything Ive read online has been good so far. Was thinking of starting off with some base layers. Planning on picking up some after work today actually.

Mwalczak

Mar 12, 2011
I bought the Kanab pants this summer, not exactly sure what to expect. My first impression was not very good. They were lighter than i expected and didn't look like they'd take much abuse. I ordered a size bigger than i usually wear (because of reviews online) and the pants still fit way too tight in the legs. I consider myself an average build, (5'10" - 185lbs.) i had plenty of room in the waist, ( i got 36" waist, i wear 34 normally) but the legs barely covered my boots. Another disappointment was the fact that they're made in china. After a few days of debate i decided to send them back. I bought a pair of pants from sitka, and am very happy with them so far. unfortunately sitka gear is also made in china.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
The Gila pants are the old style. I bought the Kanab pants for this archery season as I have become a big fan of Merino Wool base layers and had seen them talked up in Eastman's. I am 6' and 190 pounds with a 34" waist so I ordered Large. The first day I noticed a seem in the crotch coming apart and the pants lasted 4 days before the crotch blew out all the way. I sent them back and went for an exchange of the same size as they seemed to fit very well. The second pair lasted about 6 days and I noticed a cool breeze hiking out of the hills one night. At this point I am baffled as I've never in my life had such a problem nor had I ever spent $150 on a pair of hunting pants. I had my wife look the situation over and she felt the thighs are cut too tight causing the stress in the crotch so I got in touch with Scott at FirstLite (who thankfully is great to deal with!) and he agreed to send me some XL's in the hope that it will take care of the issue.

The good news is that S&S Archery (where i originally purchased the pants) and Scott at FirstLite are awesome to deal with and I still have hope the larger size will work for me. They are not tough pants though and no design change will fix that. I would describe them more as medium duty pants due to the material. It's the trade off of having Merino Wool verses a synthetic I suppose and it's a tradeoff I am glad to make as long as they don't blow due to being cut wrong.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Well, I got my replacement pants today and the black in the ASAT is terribly faded on all but the back of the lower legs. I think First Lite has a little work to do on quality control if they want to compete with Sitka and KUIU etc.....

Mwalczak

Mar 12, 2011
Sorry to hear that. Doesn't it make you sick to spend all that money, get your hopes up, then realize you bought junk...