First D7 bear hunt.

Neal78

Sep 7, 2012
I had to get a bear tag this year, usually get a dear. I don't have any dogs or a clue how to up my odds. Any tips? Thanks.

If you have the same luck I have in D7 all it takes to have a bear walk up on you is not have a tag in your pocket. Everytime I have hunted there without a tag I see bears, everytime I have a tag I see no bears. I finally gave up and went to a different unit. There are a ton of bear in D7 at least there used to be. In fact I almost got run over by a big 'en just above Courtright Reserviour about 10 years ago archery hunting deer and of course I didn't have a tag in my pocket. I wouldn't worry about dogs, don't think you can use them in Calif during deer season anyway, I believe you can after but check the regs. We got some funky F&G laws when it comes to Big Game hunting out here, one of the reasons I'm moving on to other pastures. From my experience there are a lot more bears on the western slope of the Sierras than the eastern slope. Most of the bears I see on the eastern slope are in towns and campgrounds.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
If you have the same luck I have in D7 all it takes to have a bear walk up on you is not have a tag in your pocket. Everytime I have hunted there without a tag I see bears, everytime I have a tag I see no bears. I finally gave up and went to a different unit. There are a ton of bear in D7 at least there used to be. In fact I almost got run over by a big 'en just above Courtright Reserviour about 10 years ago archery hunting deer and of course I didn't have a tag in my pocket. I wouldn't worry about dogs, don't think you can use them in Calif during deer season anyway, I believe you can after but check the regs. We got some funky F&G laws when it comes to Big Game hunting out here, one of the reasons I'm moving on to other pastures. From my experience there are a lot more bears on the western slope of the Sierras than the eastern slope. Most of the bears I see on the eastern slope are in towns and campgrounds.
Unless it has changed, you could use dogs during deer season, but you are limited to one dog per licensed hunter. No limit on dogs after deer season closes.

Neal78

Sep 7, 2012
Is there anything I can do to have a better chance? I'm not going to be able scout or anything, just going to show up and hope for the best. Have to thanks Wild Justice this year for my lack of a deer tag.

Shaun

Jan 7, 2012
Not really. But what you can do is ask around camps of "Bear Problems" you would be suprised most people are terrified of them and are more than willing to help you out by letting you know where they are seeing them. But on a side note just make sure you stay legal and dont shoot a bear in a camp!!! ( NO BUENO)

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Most of the time I see bears they're just crusin around , you need alot of luck to come across one. At least I do anyways. Good luck
Muleys,
I know Sawfish does some bear hunting in our local mtns. . Maybe he could help you with some info. In D14 I can tell you where the majority of bears are. All on east side. If you want I can PM you where I always see them. I have some great pics of a blonde sow with 2 blonde cubs up close. Have seen red/brown and black in same area. Got great pics of bighorns there also . Some were printed in the Society for Bighorn Sheep magazine. I was told that in the 1950's they turned loose some trouble bears from Yosimite in the vicinity of where I always see them. that's why a lot of bears .

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Sorry just noticed this thread. This info is for next year I guess, all you need to do is find side hills loaded with berry bushes and sit and wait. Pick a stand where you can watch the side hill from the opposite side, the bears will sometimes bed in the berry bushes and wake up and feed through-out the day. This method was successful in D8 early season and in Idaho during the spring season. Good luck