First 'Cat of the year!

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
Well we caught our first cat of the year... Too bad the season doesn't start til December! He was a big Tom and with a great coat! Looked pretty full for October. Had to release it! He stepped in a trap meant for coyotes! Have the video of the release but can't upload it here
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412563382.579757.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412563399.677186.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412563407.942533.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412563434.672471.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
How in the world did you release one? I live trapped one on accident one year and I was scarred to hell trying to let him outa that let alone a foot trap. That is flat out awesome though that's one of my hopes this winter is shooting the big tom I got on my property.

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
How in the world did you release one? I live trapped one on accident one year and I was scarred to hell trying to let him outa that let alone a foot trap. That is flat out awesome though that's one of my hopes this winter is shooting the big tom I got on my property.

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat
The video is what you need to see. I still think they should of just cuddled with it, since that's all the kitty wanted to do ;)

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
Gypsum me and my buddy both grabbed a broom and a shovel and used it to push the levers off his foot and it came right off. He sat there for a good 5-10 minutes after he was out of it. We went and checked the rest of the traps and came back and he was gone! It was exciting though!

Geno did it come through high quality on your phone?? Everyone else it was really crappy quality! I'm trying to upload it but can't thru tapatalk

Last edited:

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
That's awesome guys, idk if I could muster the cahones to do that, I'd prolly end up leaving it there and feeding it til he season started, hahahaha I'm sure it took it a minute to realize he was captured anymore an could move outa the little circle, can't wait til I can shoot one and be able to get it mounted, but I'm going with my bow for one we will see if that ever works out

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
We never caught a bobcat but when we caught dogs we always used a big thick blanket to put over the animal and have someone pull the blanket while the other one released the animal. Never enjoyed doing that. I suppose a guy could use those noose type contraptions that the dog catchers use.

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
We never caught a bobcat but when we caught dogs we always used a big thick blanket to put over the animal and have someone pull the blanket while the other one released the animal. Never enjoyed doing that. I suppose a guy could use those noose type contraptions that the dog catchers use.
Yeah we were going to but we didn't have any to throw over it. Guys do use catch poles to hold them down as well.
Here's another sweet pic!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412615529.683456.jpg

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
Scott it is too long to email as it is over 2 minutes.

Tdub we would have but its not in season! He would have brought a lot more than $500 no doubt.

izzy69

Dec 16, 2012
When we catch one that we can't keep we use a rubber trash can put it over the cat then slide over foot with trap then release the foot then knock the can over