First Antelope Hunt

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Hey guys, new member here. I posted an introduction in the new members section, so with that out of the way can anyone give me exact GPS coordinates to their best antelope spot?

Just kidding of course, but I am planning on my first antelope hunt this October and have been doing as much research as possible. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. Got the "out west" bug after traveling there to chase merriams last spring. Beautiful country that we just don't have on the east coast. Just wanted to introduce myself in the antelope forum since ill be spending a lot of time in here from now to October.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Wel0cme to the forum me to western hunting. It is very addicting for sure. Antelope are one of my favorite hunts each year. Good luck

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Not really looking for advice, not saying I wont take it though. Just introducing myself. Im pretty sure ill get drawn for unit 113, which I know has limited access. I'm not afraid to put some miles under my boots, which the game warden said id probably have to do for that area. The biologist and warden for the area said that they didn't have much of a winter kill for that area this year which is lucky for me. Just looking to have a good time and hopefully wrap my hands around some horn.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
If you draw, check again with the F&G and see if the area is still over-run with rabbits (cotton-tails). If so, pick up a small game lic., and after you get your buck, you can have a "blast" shooting a batch of rabbits. I used a .22 pistol, and tagged my possession limit of 20 in a couple days. They are great table fare also.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
If you draw, check again with the F&G and see if the area is still over-run with rabbits (cotton-tails). If so, pick up a small game lic., and after you get your buck, you can have a "blast" shooting a batch of rabbits. I used a .22 pistol, and tagged my possession limit of 20 in a couple days. They are great table fare also.
Now that sounds pretty fun too. Will have to do that along with some trout fishing.

Warmutt

Dec 22, 2016
MN
This is good advice folks. Hunted WY for the first time last season and after jumping the thousandth cottontail I sure wish I had brought out my .22 Lr. Don't forget the prairie dogs and coyotes which are free to hunt.