First African safari completed

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Just got back from my first safari and JimP reminded me I needed to post a review over here.
This trip was booked 3 years ago and postponed until last week due to covid.
I'm not a great writer but will do the best I can with basics.
This was a budget plains game safari that was booked for 4 animals each.
We hunted for 5 full days and only had 1 day with no animals taken.
The value of South Africa is pretty amazing. I spent exactly the same amount including airfare as I have driving to Texas for a 3 day axis deer hunt in which I was not successful.
Anyway, I used my Remington 700 in 7mm Remington mag with barnes 160gr tsx and my son used a ruger 300 win Mag with Barnes 165 ttsx.
I fired 6 shots with 6 kills from 40 to 225 yards.
I was surprised that for me the zebra was the most difficult to get and had to chase them for 3 days with many many sightings. Swirling wind always messed things up right up until my last hunting day.
Anyway on to the pictures.
I took
1 impala
2 warthog
1 cull hartabeest
1 wildebeest
1 zebra
1 guinea fowl with the owners son's. 2220230413_101106.jpg20230413_181837.jpg20230414_182818.jpg20230415_090546.jpg20230415_153146.jpg20230417_094314.jpg20230417_173016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Once again, that's a great hunt.

Warthogs are my nemesis. I missed one last year at 100 yards but redeemed myself with one at about 30.

I should of also taken zebra, but perhaps that may give me a reason to go back.

Did you get to eat any of the meat? While most of my meat went to the market or stayed in the skinning shed we did have a dinner party at the outfitters home where they served zebra as a appetizer, zebra quickly became my favorite meat.

I did fix the pictures so that they are full size.

Reactions: RICMIC and hunter25

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Once again, that's a great hunt.

Warthogs are my nemesis. I missed one last year at 100 yards but redeemed myself with one at about 30.

I should of also taken zebra, but perhaps that may give me a reason to go back.

Did you get to eat any of the meat? While most of my meat went to the market or stayed in the skinning shed we did have a dinner party at the outfitters home where they served zebra as a appetizer, zebra quickly became my favorite meat.

I did fix the pictures so that they are full size.
We didn't eat any of our own animals. Like yours they went to market other than 1 whole hartabeest and the guinea fowl being given to our trackers.
We did get to eat streaks from roan and Sable while we were there though. Along with some Sable sausage.
Although it was all very good meat they don't season things at all like we do here. Salt n pepper only.
Did get to eat some other traditional south African foods also.

Reactions: prhunter

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Gents when you have a moment could you recap the cost to get skulls, horns hides etc back CONUS ? Every time I look at this I stop the planning when I get to the logistics and taxidermist bill I would create :)

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Mine should be on its way, I hope. When dealing with African time you never know.

Here is a list of prices from the shop that I am having my work done at in South Africa. The shipping home will be more expensive but my taxidermist here in Colorado jumped his prices and everything got pushed out 15+ months after he receives the capes and horns, so having him do it It is 2+ years before you have the on your wall. My mounts were done last December, but the South African permits office shuts down in January so you have to wait until February at the very least for a hunt in June.

Right now shipping is all over the place, but my importer tries to get the best rates for bulk since he'll have a number of hunters shipping at roughly the same time, but he hasn't sent me a bill yet.

If you plan on having the mounts done here in the US look at the Dip and Pack price

Dip and Pack, they don't list it but there is usually a 15% crating fee added to the Dip and Pack.

Reactions: Slugz

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Gents when you have a moment could you recap the cost to get skulls, horns hides etc back CONUS ? Every time I look at this I stop the planning when I get to the logistics and taxidermist bill I would create :)
Like Jim I won't know the shipping for quite some time.
But pricing on getting 8 euros done, 2 of them on plaques which might help clearing customs on the Pigs as completed taxidermy without the usda hassle plus 3 tanned hides was $2400

Reactions: Slugz

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is surprising at the number of hunters who go to Texas to shoot exotics on a high fence ranch that doesn't even come close to the size of the farms in South Africa.

I looked at a warthog hunt down in south east Texas and I could go to South Africa and hunt for 10 days with a dozen different animals, pay for my airfare and everything else for what they wanted for just a single animal.

But if you have a deep pocket book and are short on time I guess that it would be a way to go.

Reactions: RICMIC

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have already decided I will be happy with just Euro mounts and a 1x1 patch of the the hide and quality photos. I plan on making a display which will make a nice trophy.
If you are planning a safari may I suggest that you head over to a different forum. It is mostly for African hunting and there is some great advise for the first time hunter and even for those who have been over a dozen times. It has threads from everything from tipping the help to who to go to for the flights. Then there is all the taxidermy advise from just pictures to whole blown life size mounts.

I'll PM you the web address.

Reactions: Alabama

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Just got back from my first safari and JimP reminded me I needed to post a review over here.
This trip was booked 3 years ago and postponed until last week due to covid.
I'm not a great writer but will do the best I can with basics.
This was a budget plains game safari that was booked for 4 animals each.
We hunted for 5 full days and only had 1 day with no animals taken.
The value of South Africa is pretty amazing. I spent exactly the same amount including airfare as I have driving to Texas for a 3 day axis deer hunt in which I was not successful.
Anyway, I used my Remington 700 in 7mm Remington mag with barnes 160gr tsx and my son used a ruger 300 win Mag with Barnes 165 ttsx.
I fired 6 shots with 6 kills from 40 to 225 yards.
I was surprised that for me the zebra was the most difficult to get and had to chase them for 3 days with many many sightings. Swirling wind always messed things up right up until my last hunting day.
Anyway on to the pictures.
I took
1 impala
2 warthog
1 cull hartabeest
1 wildebeest
1 zebra
1 guinea fowl with the owners son's. 22View attachment 43656View attachment 43657View attachment 43658View attachment 43659View attachment 43660View attachment 43661View attachment 43662
Great work! Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations.

Reactions: hunter25