firearm purchase help.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Guys I have a serious question for you. I have a friend who has Early Onset Altzimers. It's pretty grim but for now he can still work some but he has made some bad choices and I don't trust his judgement. Anyway he is talking about buying a rifle. He has had some firearms experience cause he owns a 20 gauge to shoot critters on his farm but a deer rifle is a whole lot more dangerous. Plus he lives on the crest of a hill and there are houses in the area. So he doesn't;t have a safe backdrop. So my question is can I contact someone to deny him a firearms permit if he buys one? Anyone know the legalities of such stuff. I'm of course in favor of people owning guns but I don't feel this is safe. I don't think he will listen to me tell him he's not up to it anymore. Anyway I figure you guys would be able to give me some insight. Thanks

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
That’s a tough one. Other than talking with him or his family you may not have an option.
keep an eye on him if he does acquire.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd just sit down with him and have a long talk about what he is thinking.

Other than that and I am no lawyer or even a Dr I doubt that there is anything that can restrict him from purchasing one if he can answer all the questions on the 4473 form. Section 11.f would be what would be in question.

Good luck

Attachments

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
That's a real tough spot your in, but I commend you on dealing with it the best you can.

I'm really not sure what you can do outside of talking with his family. You could stop by the local sheriff's department and without naming the person first explain the sanrio to see if they got any direction for you.
Whatever you do it's a tough situation.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I know a bunch about Alzheimer's disease. It affects every woman on my mothers side after the age of 70 and it is very sad.

When I was a kid my friends grandpa accidentally shot his own dog in the cow pasture behind his house with a 25-06. He said he thought it was a coyote.

The guy had been slipping for years. Forgetting peoples names, forgetting the coffee pot on the stove, and forgetting about the food he was cooking and burning it. The family came in and took his guns.

My recommendation would be to get the guy help. If at all possible have his family members do the dirty work as it is ultimately their responsibility. Normally I would never be on board with taking someones guns but in this case get the guns away from him before a serious accident happens.

FYI- The dog I referred to above was a beagle...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Thanks guys.... Those are exactly the kind of reasonable, sane answers I had hoped to get . Anyone else wanna jump in feel free. When it comes down to safety od your kids and neighbors I don't think there is a question. Perhaps I can ask his wife to put a medical restriction so the feds would deny it. Course he could go thru a private sale....I just fear something really bad could happen.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I generally don't condone taking guns from people BUT in some cases it must be done .

thankfully , my dad gave me his guns long before he needed to as he knew it was time to take care of it. drivers license was another story , both parents fought me tooth and nail on that. my mother is blind and has dementia., she couldn't find her way home if she walked to the mailbox and she is still pissed we won't let her drive.lol.

my dad ,would yell that it was his right to drive and if he died in a wreck so be it. it was his choice. I had to tell him if it was just his safety ,I'd let him keep driving but he was a hazard to everyone on the road and it was not his right to put others at risk.

when laid out like that ,he relented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonecollector