Finally, 2021 Wyoming Unit 26 Moose Hunt Tag!

cutback

Feb 18, 2013
Oregon
After 21 years of running on the preference point treadmill, I finally drew my tag!

I started this journey, when an outfitter friend of mine told me, I needed to start putting in, as it only took 5 preference points to be guaranteed to draw the tag.

By the amount of years it took to draw this tag, you can clearly see how it worked out...
It will be a tough road ahead for future generations, that share the same dreams, that some of us were fortunate enough to experience.

Besides the obvious, I'm no longer the hunting machine, I used to be...
I am now 62, Still in good shape, and am blessed to have the opportunity to hunt these great animals.

I have hunted Wyoming many times and have had many adventures, to remember and re visit in my memories...

The areas and units that I know well, are not the Unit (26) that I drew this Moose tag for.
I will be contacting the Regional Wildlife Biologist and making multiple trips to Wyoming to scout.

My plan will be to grab my bow during Archery season and if I'm not able to close the deal, hopefully I'll have more intel to use during rifle season.
If any members have any experience or insight as to this Unit, in regards to Moose, please reach out. (maybe Elk hunters)

I have spent quite a bit of time in Region G (Deer) and Unit 90/91 (Antelope) and would be willing to share what I could, to help out another member.

With a little luck and hard work, I hope to share my experience and story, with others...

Last edited:

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Been a few years for us, but have taken 2 bull moose out of 26. They seemed to be everywhere during the rut, even down low.
My bull died in a pond right next to the 2 track road. No pack out what so ever. You can hunt hard terrain or easy and probably do fine.
Contact that biologist for sure, start with an email.

pm sent

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
congrats! no luck for me in WY this year.
at first glance....I was like what WY moose unit only takes 5 pts to draw?? lol.

trying to draw a goat tag in MT though....

Reactions: cutback

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Congratulations on your moose tag. The elk in my avatar were taken in your unit. Unfortunately, I didn't see any moose on that trip. Good luck and keep us updated on your hunt!

Reactions: cutback

cutback

Feb 18, 2013
Oregon
Ok. I thought I'd post an update...
First, Thank you for all for the responses and pm's. Intel was very valuable and very much appreciated...
I got back this last weekend from my first scouting trip.
In total, I saw 25 Moose. 9 Bulls, of which 5 were shooters but, 2 Bulls were on private land so, in reality 3 Bulls that I would have gone after.
Very encouraged with what I saw...
I also met with one of the Wyoming Game and Fish officers, for the unit.
Awesome representative for the state...
We spent quite a bit of time together and he shared invaluable knowledge for his area. I could not speak more highly of him and the time he spent with me.
Looking forward to spending more time in the "High Country."

-- Cutback

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Good luck Cutback !
Did you see the Big Spring and teddy bear corner ?
Get a game bird license, ruffed grouse over there with the duskies.

We'll be in 24 this weekend hoping to fill the spouse's moose tag.

cutback

Feb 18, 2013
Oregon
Thanks wy-tex! I really appreciate all of your help...
I forgot to mention in my scouting report, we saw ruffed grouse all over the place.
Hope your wife punches her tag as I look forward to your pics. Best of luck to the both of you.

cutback

Feb 18, 2013
Oregon
Update...

Wow! What an incredible Hunt!!
I'm just getting back from the "High Country" so, I thought I'd post a couple of quick pics...
Thank you, to all that gave me so much help and encouragement.

Also, To wy-tex, you personally deserve a huge amount of credit. Your help and insite, was an invaluable tool that was appreciated more than you could imagine. I'm truly grateful...
This Bull was one of 3 shooter Bulls that I scouted up in Aug/Sept and specifically, the one I was hoping to find again. Truly a hunt of a lifetime...Thank you.

Hunting trip story to follow...

Attachments

Last edited: