Favorite Piece Of Gear???

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Everybody should own 1 of these...Its my favorite piece of gear EVERY year. I think I have 4 of them and I'm not sure why aside from the fact that I am afraid to forget one....so I leave them sprinkled across the state at various places...haha

It has kept me in the woods when others ran for the truck crying about the weather.

I know it looks stupid and guys with great rain gear may say its unecessary (I have top of the line rain gear)....but its a "first line of defence" and I use them a LOT.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
took a bad fall this year antelope hunting, so I guess I'll go with the ace bandages I used to wrap up my legs.
that and my gun which served well as a walking stick ,when I hobbled my way back to the truck with a sprained ankle.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I'd have a different answer every month. Screwing around with gear is half of what I love about hunting! I guess this month it's my Vortex Diamondbacks, mostly because of their story. I found a busted pair out in the back-country, nearly destroyed, and contacted Vortex mostly to share the story but they said they were fully covered. Sent them in and now I have a pair of binos just for my truck! All I paid was shipping. Pretty cool.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd have a different answer every month. Screwing around with gear is half of what I love about hunting! I guess this month it's my Vortex Diamondbacks, mostly because of their story. I found a busted pair out in the back-country, nearly destroyed, and contacted Vortex mostly to share the story but they said they were fully covered. Sent them in and now I have a pair of binos just for my truck! All I paid was shipping. Pretty cool.
Sounds like the way that I got my Garmin GPS

I found it in a mud puddle that was drying up. I cleaned it up and checked the waypoints and location to see if there was any way to get it back to its owner. I got the serial number off of it and called Garmin's customer service with it. They did a search but it had never been registered with them in over a year since it had left them. She asked me my name and address and sent me the accessories that would of came with it when it left the dealer. She then told me to register it in my name. At the time it was a $700 GPS

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
We upgraded a lot of gear last year and my vortex 12x 50 with tripod adopter probably tops the list followed by her new badlands 2200 pack

Vinootz

Mar 22, 2020
Aside from my rifle I would say my sidearm after seeing a hunter got chewed up by an alligator in Florida. Good thing too because I encountered one myself 3 weeks later and had a feeling of reassurance. I was luckier because the gator ran off. However favorites are always tough to answer. Especially when hunting. It comes down more to what came in most handy. So after my rifle it would be comfortable boots. Hunting in freezing temperatures one appreciates a warm coat.
If you needed something in your backpack that made you comfortable or saved your life
it would be your well filled pack. It’s all relative to the moment at hand I suppose.

Vinootz

Mar 22, 2020
Leica 7 x 42 Trinovids. Perfect for the Mississippi Whitetail woods.
ATV’s are always great when when they get you into and out of great locations. Not so great when they malfunction and need to be serviced. Or one of your buddies flips them and busts the ATV and themselves up. I had 3 ATV’s and got tired of the mishaps and servicing them. I like low maintenance and
traveling light without tons of gear. It’s a common trait of purists. That’s why I still love iron sights on rifles, less can go wrong. Otherwise,that’s a sweet ride. Have fun with it and be safe. Hope you load it with plenty of harvested game.

Buckbob

Jan 22, 2018
Michigan
My favorite piece of gear from this past year was my slumberjack dead fall 65 backpack, I initially bought it for my first elk hunt which I did get to use it to pack out my buddies elk and it performed well. It also performed well the couple times I did take it deer hunting in Michigan and I really loved it for turkey hunting this spring, plenty of room for decoys, camera, and everything else without being overly huge and not practical. Definitely an entry level pack for western hunting but versatile enough to use in the Midwest and should be perfect for my antelope this fall.