Favorite layout blind

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
What is everyone's favorite layout blind for geese? I hunted geese yesterday for the first time over decoys on a corn field and needless to say it was a very bad choice on my part as far as my wallet is concerned. I am so hooked! I will hold off on decoys for now but I'm deff in the market for a blind now. Suggestions? I seen one that weighs only 8 pounds and doubles as a decoy bag. I think it was called ghost blind.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Good post Ivorytip! I am looking at layouts as well and would love to hear everyone?s suggestions! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
Cabela usually has them on the floor to checkout.
I use a pad under mine too, helps on cold days

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
There are tons of layouts out there and most are "good", none are great anymore IMO, and there are a few bad ones. Part of choosing one depends on...

1. How you plan to store/transport it
- some fold up small enough for a trunk of a car, others won't fit in a short bed pickup and are best off in a decoy trailer
2. What type of cover will you typically hunt? Decent height stubble and grass fenclines, or plowed fields and mowed small grain fields?
- with the really sparse cover, you will want a pretty low profile blind whereas in places with more cover you can get away with a lot of height
3. How big are you?
- if you are average man size, say 5'10" and under 200 you will probably be comfortable in any blind. Get up around 6'2"-6'3" and 240ish, they start to get a little snug. Over 6'3"-4" and over 250, you may need to look into the "big guy" blinds.

After that it's really just what you like. They all have durability issues, magnified greatly in the cold. We run (ran since I don't live in MN anymore) and wanted blinds that required the least amount of assembly to go from stored in the trailer to ready to hunt and we went with the HS Hitman blind but I don't think you can get them anymore. Otherwise I/we have used FA, tanglefree, Avery, and rogers. Try to go somewhere where you can look at them. Lots are very similar. I can't stand Avery powerhunters due to the mummy bag type way you get in them and the big dome lid.

Also, depending on your hunting style, pressure and group (number of guys, kids, etc) don't overlook A-frame blinds. They work really well in a lot of instances and are more comfortable than a layout for a lot of guys.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Ivory, check out macks parrie wings MoMarsh blind. A couple of buddies of mine have these, they have legs for use in flooded fields or the edges of lakes or marshes! Caution on hunting geese we have probably 2000 plus sock decoys and a couple of vortexs!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have owned a lot of blinds.

The finisher style is the best blind imho.

I sold all of the others and only have these now.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
This is the only layout blind you'll ever need, from the best place to buy waterfowl stuff: https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/hunting/blinds/layout-blinds/new-rogers-goosebusters-layout-blind-in-kw-1.html

Super comfortable, portable, folds down flat, lots of room, waterproof floor and sides (perfection for muddy fields.
Momarsh makes great stuff, but it's on the expensive side. Rogers branded stuff is high quality, at a good price. Literally every guy I hunt with hunts out of this blind, and we've tried them all..