factors for success

Pepper

Feb 21, 2011
Mostly the ammount of time I spend every year. However I attribute all my success to luck. But I am still in search of a huge buck.

Pepper

Feb 21, 2011
"Cam who?" Lmao, I would love to follow Nate around for a couple days just to see what he knows. I would give anything to tag along with David Long for a couple days. I am sure he has forgetten more about Mule deer than I will ever know.

Nate

Eastmans' Staff
Feb 21, 2011
Sea Bass,
There has been many factors that have went into my recent mule deer hunting success but if I had to pick just one it factor, it would be the time I have spent filming great mule deer hunters like Guy, Cameron and David Long. I'm not trying to discredit myself, I worked hard and have earned some good deer lately, but without the time afield with these guys, my last few seasons wouldn't have been as successful.

sea bass

Feb 21, 2011
sourhern Utah
Thanks for the reply Nate.... that is a lot of combined knowledge to absorb..... the whole eastmans crew seems humble and down to earth...great magazines keep up the good work...

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
Glassing; your eyes are your best weapon!

Attachments

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Scoutting!! Always and as much as possible. Even in areas I've hunted many years in the past I always pre scout. I love it when I can go over that next ridge that I've never look over the other side and find a new spring or Quaker patch that looks awesome to hunt.

Airdog

Feb 22, 2011
Grantsville, UT
This last rifle hunt after spending two nights on the mountain in snow, rain, and cold we came down. I know two nights isn't very long for some of you but it was probably the worst conditions I've ever hunted in. We came down got cleaned up and something to eat. I called up my cousin and told him we won't get anything staying at home. We went up and I shot a 22 inch 4 point. My biggest deer. Long story but we wouldn't have got anything if we have let the weather win. So my factor of success is to get out there no matter the conditions.

pronghorn

Feb 21, 2011
I think the keys for me are knowing your area, through scouting and years of hunitng and glassing.

Booner

Feb 21, 2011
Nebraska
Being able to rifle hunt the rut. The sandhills of Nebraska hide those big guys really good and if they don't have their mind on something else but surviving and hiding, the BIG ones are pretty hard to get sometimes.

Muleyslayer

Feb 21, 2011
My archery mule deer success

#1 Choose easy To draw tags
#2 Draw tags for units that have bucks
#3 Lots and lots and lots of shooting in competition.

You gotta have bucks to get close to, then you gotta make the shot! Without either you're spinning your wheels.