Exo Mountain Gear 2000

chasingcoues

Jun 25, 2014
Anyone have this pack? Looking to hear experiences using it. I think I can keep the weight down and use it on day pack elk hunts. Thoughts?

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Plenty of room for day pack. Exo is top notch. Ive been running one for years and will upgrade to the newest model this summer. I will have the 5500, but plan to get the 2000 bag as well at some point. My buddy runs the 2000 a lot and he can do multiple nights out of it pretty easily. And when it comes to packing a heavy load, the Exo can take far more than you can handle. I packed my whole highcountry mule deer boned out along with my 6 day camp out last year in 1 load. My friend and I guessed my load at 150ish and I carried it for 7 hours through rough terrain and the pack did great. It wasnt exactly a pleasant time, but I was sure glad I had that pack for it. I wasnt even too sore the following days, which goes to show how well the pack handled the weight. You wont be unhappy with it I guarantee you.

Conrad8899

Oct 15, 2011
Casper Wy
I have owned exo and kifaru.. I owned exo 3500 first... I packed out 2 elk with it... My wife owns a exo 3500 and she has packed one elk out with it.. The exo will handle the weight well... Would still own the exo if my dog wouldn't of chewed it up.. Own a kifaru now. Have not packed any critters with it.. But doing a lot of pack training.. It is just as good.. U cant beat a kifaru hip belt.. JMO

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm really torn between an Exo, Kifaru or a Kuiu......I really wish I could have them all side by side and try them all at once
If you are picking between those 3, Kifaru is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntnguide

Very Active Member
If you are picking between those 3, Kifaru is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is far more personal preference than kifaru is better. There are many hardcore backpack hunters over on Rokslide who would take Exo over Kifaru everyday. I personally prefer the titanium frame of the Exo, and the new K2 hip belt is much better than the original version. Kifaru makes great packs, but is by no means high and above Exo IMO. I will say both are above Kuiu packs though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Conrad8899

Oct 15, 2011
Casper Wy
mntguide is probably right.. It a personal preference... On what will work for U. U cant go wrong with both.. I here good things about stone glacier to... Pick one of those three.. And don't look back....

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I tried the Kuiu Ultra 1800 and wasn't impressed. I ended up returning it. The frame wasn't comfortable for me packing a 50lb bag of cattle mineral in it for a few miles, just didn't fit me well. It was more uncomfortable than the J34 Eberlestock I have, and far more uncomfortable than the Eberlestock Mainframe. I have several Kuiu products I really like, nothing against the company, but this wasn't the right pack for me.

I've used Eberlestock packs for a while and still like them for several things. Their material is tough and quiet. The wide scabbard X3 is my predator hunting pack until the weather gets real cold and I have to pack more clothes with my giant Prairie Blaster FoxPro taking up most of the bag. I like the Mainframe and Superspike duffle that opens up wide and is quiet for packing really warm stuff into the whitetail blind in December. The J34 did a pretty decent job of everything when it was my only decent pack. The Mainframe with the right attachments for the job is really versatile, the next evolution of the Just One concept I think. When I got to packing more weight in optics and tripods around far more though I started getting daypack weights climbing to far over 20lbs. I don't like packing much over that in a daypack out west, and with 6-8lbs of optics and a 7-8lb backpack it was pretty hard not to. I decided to look at other options. My Eberlestock Mainframe weighs 4lbs 2oz after I trimmed a few things off I didn't need. The Transformer I tried still weighed 3lbs after I removed everything I didn't need so that option was still over 7lbs empty. The Little Big Top bag is heavier than that. The Spike camp or Supers spike camp duffle don't offer the organization I like for my optics. I have nothing bad to say about Eberlestock, their systems are all just heavier than what I was looking for now.

I was down to Kifaru or Exo with no option nearby to try either in person close to home. I have heard all the great things about Kifaru and own a Paratarp, Megatarp, and Parastove that have been great. I like Kifaru as a company very much and figure their packs are probably as good as everyone says. I'm also on Rokslide and listen to a bunch of hunting podcasts while baling hay this time of year, so I've heard a lot from the Exo guys. I've bought several things from Steve through S&S Archery also and he has been very good to deal with, so I have faith that Exo will be a top notch company to deal with also. I spoke to both Kifaru and Exo on the phone trying to figure out which is the best fit for me also before buying.

What made me go to Exo on this purchase over Kifaru came down to weight. I will be using this pack primarily as a daypack that can haul meat when necessary. None of the hunts I have lined up in the next couple years require packing in for 5 days, instead they will be from a base camp with day hunts. If it's to our advantage we will spike out a night or two at a time. For that I want a capacity of 2000 cubic inches plus and a way to carry my spotter and tripod where they aren't to hard to get to. I don't want a really heavy daypack, but want it to be able to haul an elk hindquarter out first trip.

The Exo 2000 shows it weighs 4.5lbs and the Crib attachment (for if I want to ditch the bag and just use the frame for meat) weighs 5.5oz. Total weight for the system is about 4.85lbs, and meat can be carried without the Crib at 4.5lbs.

The Kifaru version I was also considering was the 26" hunting frame with the Nomad 2 pack. That set up weighs 5.56lbs. Meat can be carried without the panel, but the Kifaru Cargo panel is another 1lb 11oz. All these pieces together were also more expensive than the Exo equivalent by $237.

The Kifaru Nomad 2 can grab a dry bag or other bag between the wings for more capacity, but the Exo can sandwich one between the frame and bag on the meat shelf to do the same. Personally any time I need more capacity I'd probably put a different bag on the frame anyway. If I like the Exo I'll likely buy a larger 3500 or even 5500 bag for it in the future before I go on a hunt where I need the capacity.

These aren't identical packs, the Kifaru is set up much different, but the capacity is similar. The capability seems similar also. I also don't think a person would probably go wrong with either choice, in my research I didn't find unhappy customers to often. I guess I'll know if I picked the right one for me when the Exo arrives. It seemed to fit my criteria the best, maybe it's light enough I'll pack the 15x binos more often and find more game.

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks all and sorry Coues.....didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm finding the older I get and with my primary packing partner going to college now, I need to re gear up to make less trips and be more comfortable........when I cant get the pack animals to the kill:)

Thanks again all. Love the insight we are able to share here to make informed decisions.

65 days till the archery opener

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Good stuff Mcseal. It came down to these two packs for me as well. I ended up with the Kafaru Reckoning with 2 pockets. One will be used for my bow cam/butt stock carrier, thus eliminating some other gadget to do this. I didn't load the base purchase with lots of extras. Not needed in my opinion, but different strokes for different folks. :)
My setup weights 5.9lb on my scale. Bag/frame/pockets. Great daypack and can expand to a 5-6 day bag without all the fluff.

It fit my style of hunting better and I was able to setup the bag I wanted cheaper than the Exo by $70. It really does come down to personal preference as everyone likes to pack and access things differently. Both are great products and the two best options at the current time.

Last edited:

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Yep, I don't think you'd go wrong with either company. I know Kifaru has a ton of options other than the Nomad 2 I was looking at. I was only comparing the Kifaru version that caught my eye to the Exo version that caught my eye. I've heard good things about the Reckoning on the podcasts I've been listening to while running the tractor baling.

I've heard lot of good about Stone Glacier on the Podcasts as well, but have zero experience with them. Brian Barney said on Eastmans Elevated he runs the Eberlestock Mainframe with the Spike camp or Super Spike Camp duffle and likes it. Everyone figures out what fits their needs best, packs and boots will always be about what fits each individuals body and intended use.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
One of the biggest reasons I liked the Nomad 2 was that I could put my Eberlestock scabbard on the webbing between the wings. I just decided that added even more weight and talked my self out of it. It would be a cool set-up though.

chasingcoues

Jun 25, 2014
Hi All- Great feedback! I went w/ the Exomountain 2000. I loved the easy detach from the pack to the meat shelf. Plus if you need more space you can always ad the guide lid to it later. One last thing... I had the original Nomad from Kifaru, I did not like the way it held my rifle. I think the 2000 will be a more secure way down the middle of carrying my rifle.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Hi All- Great feedback! I went w/ the Exomountain 2000. I loved the easy detach from the pack to the meat shelf. Plus if you need more space you can always ad the guide lid to it later. One last thing... I had the original Nomad from Kifaru, I did not like the way it held my rifle. I think the 2000 will be a more secure way down the middle of carrying my rifle.
You can now do this with an attached pocket in the middle of the pack. Was one of the things I liked about the Reckoning.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Just got back from a 4 day scouting trip for my muley hunt this fall. I used the Exo 2000 on the trip. We had a base camp and did day trips from it on the UTV and got an overview of the area, then hiked into some of the more promising terrain we wanted a closer look at. I was very happy with the Exo. I put my spotter, a new 55mm Kowa, in the stretch pocket on the back and my tripod in one of the water bottle pockets and under the straps on the side. The inside of the pack held my Kuiu Kenai pants and jacket, Kuiu glassing pad, bino adapter, emergency kit, gloves, snacks, and other small items. The zipper pocket on the front flap held my Dark Energy phone charger and cord, and the top fleece pocket held my headlamp. I'm sure I'm forgetting items but that's the majority of it. It was about 20-21lbs total weight. The pack moved with me extremely well and almost felt like not having a pack, certainly not a frame pack. It lets plenty of air get to my back that really helps keep cool and dry. I liked it very much. I did a conditioning hike with the pack at home before going with 80lbs and it did well also. I felt some pressure between my shoulder blades that was uncomfortable with that load, but I never adjusted it right before that trip. I took it from the box, loaded it, and headed out adjusting as I went. After watching the video I think I have it set much better now. I like the pack very much and hope to have it hauling a muley out this fall.

I also bought the 3500 bag and it arrived while I was gone. It has some features I like better like the long side pockets for a spotter and tripod. It's heavier and bulkier also, but not by a whole lot. Both will have their place with me, the wetter, colder, and later the season is the more likely I'll want the bigger capacity for clothes.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Just a follow up to my previous post after using the Exo more.

I think the 3500 bag will get the majority of my use. I like the long side pockets to hold the spotter and tripod, and just like being able to easily fit all my gear into the larger bag and shrink it from there. I have gone on a couple dozen more conditioning hikes and not noticed the pressure between the shoulder blades since, I think it was how I had the straps adjusted and load sucked down. After properly adjusting the pack it was a non-issue.

The biggest thing I can say positive about this pack is how it moves with you. It doesn't feel like a frame pack moving over down trees and through burns with a reasonably light load. If you are like most people and are going to haul less than 50lbs into camp, set up camp, and hunt with 20lbs but want to be able to pack 100lbs out if you kill this should be an excellent pack. I'm a big built stout guy, not built at all like Steve or Lenny that designed the pack, and it works well for me. I have never owned a Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, or Stone Glacier pack but have used an Eberlestock Mainframe and a Cabelas Alaskan Guide light frame with similar loads. The Exo is at least as good, probably better, with heavy loads and definitely better with most loads to me.

I'll update more as I use the pack more. I still hope to beat the odds and find a Wyoming muley moving in the daylight I can pack out with it. Wish me luck if you want to read a review!