Exit Wounds..lets see them.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
The 200 gr ELD X is rated for a 1-10 twist. I’m shooting the 178’s out of my Abolt 300 wsm. They group really nice for me 12 consecutive shots in a 1” group. 2975fps. Them are handloads, over RL17, can’t remember the powder charge. Tried them out to 500 yds with excellent results. Hoping to have a picture of an exit would the first week of November.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
My twist is 1-10”. I tried the 200’s over H4831sc and they shot really nice for me. Just really slow. Couldn’t get them over 2600 FPS. Never tried them over RL17, don’t know why, always seem to get a little better velocity with that powder.
The 178’s are rated for a 1-12” twist, but shoot fine out of my gun.
I wouldn’t be afraid to try either one, if I were you.

kamptown

Nov 19, 2016

Well this seems to be the only one on this phone. The first kill for the new rifle. Last winter. 300 WM 200 gr ELDX just inside of 200 yards. Funny thing is that was the second shot. The first went through the chest and he went down, but then he got back up. Then he went down[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kamptown

Nov 19, 2016
.300 Win Mag, Savage model 11/111. Have dropped 4 different elk with this gun, similar effects on all of them.
I?m using that same bullet in the factory precision hunter. After barrel break in they have been shooting about 1/2? moa so I bought enough to get 100 brass for reloading. Looks like I won?t be disappointed with the terminal performance [emoji15]. Do you use a lighter bullet for smaller game? What have you noticed if so?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I use the sane Buller for everything, just more conscious of the shot placement on deer and Antelope. Don’t want to even knock s shoulder blade.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
DSCN0394.jpgDSCN0398.jpg

This was the front shoulder on a mature 6x6 bull elk. This was the entry side, and the bullet shattered the far shoulder also with the pictured bullet found in the meat of the far shoulder. 550 yards, .338 WM, 185 gr. Barnes TSX.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
DSCN0386.jpgYeah Scott it sure was, but I still came back with a freezer full. Right on the shoulder is not my preferred spot, but from 550 yards, I guess that I can't complain about it too much. It does show just how tough those Barnes bullets are. I actually put 3 shots on that bull, the 1st thru his lungs from the right & a passthru, the 2nd straight into the brisket and out by his last rib, and the last one pictured. All were DOA shots, but since he will still standing, I was still shooting. My last two bulls were shot with the same set-up, and were about 60 yards. The bullets mushroomed as much, but with some petal breakoff and were found on the far side hide.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yeah Scott it sure was, but I still came back with a freezer full. Right on the shoulder is not my preferred spot, but from 550 yards, I guess that I can't complain about it too much. It does show just how tough those Barnes bullets are. I actually put 3 shots on that bull, the 1st thru his lungs from the right & a passthru, the 2nd straight into the brisket and out by his last rib, and the last one pictured. All were DOA shots, but since he will still standing, I was still shooting. My last two bulls were shot with the same set-up, and were about 60 yards. The bullets mushroomed as much, but with some petal breakoff and were found on the far side hide.
I hit my bull this year twice, first was fatal, just a little high so it was going to take a few for his lungs to fill. So I hit him again and droppe d him in his tracks.

cefarm

Nov 15, 2017
Game is simple, show a picture of the entry wound. List what bullet made it...
I shot this buck antelope at 795 yards with the 143 gr ELD-X bullet in my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. The bullet went through a rib on the right side, took out the top of both lungs and exited through a rib on the left side. When I walked up to him I was shocked at the exit wound. I have shot many antelope over my 74 years using my .243; my longest range has been 750 yards and the handload I was using dropped them but I have never seen a bullet perform like the ELD-X and it was pushing a 20mph wind. And I like people to know I am a lady that has been doing long range shooting for many years.:eek:

Attachments

Last edited:

Spirit of a Hunter

Jan 7, 2016
The old saying "shoot the rifle that you are most comfortable with," has never hit home so profoundly. Like many of you, I own several very nice rifles in a variety of calibers. However, this year after I drew an Idaho moose tag in the Bear River Range, my first two choices of carry guns were a Model 71 Winchester in .348 caliber an old Model 70 Winchester Featherweight in .30-'06 caliber. With a very special hunt ahead of me, a very special rifle needed to tag along. I hunted nine days in all and contrary to information gathered, moose hunts are not always a slam dunk. I hunted just a couple of days prior to the rut and then finished up much later in the nearly three month season. In the days I hunted, I saw two bulls and killed one of them. I carried the lever gun on days where we would hunt thick cover calling and raking, but unfortunately, never had a shot or even saw an animal. On the day we finally glassed up two bulls high on a mountain, I grabbed the Featherweight thinking that now was not the time to chance having only a shot inside of one hundred yards. It was a good decision. I took the best bull, which by all standards was a good one, with the little rifle I'd been carrying for nearly fifty years. It felt like part of me and instilled confidence in my ability to make a good shot. I did and at a pretty good poke for the '06. The rifle is handy, light and packs the punch that most new calibers today are still compared to. OK, I'm an older guy and a little set in my ways, but those ways have worked for me. Sometimes things just go full circle in life. With the same hand load recipe from 1968, the 150 grain Nosler Partition entered the near side between two ribs, took out the lungs, center punched the heart and stacked up on the far side between two ribs against the hide. Believe me, I didn't try to do this. I only tried to make a good "behind the shoulder" shot. From 320 yards, that happened. I think I'll go back to days gone by and pack the little rifle from here on out.P1030636.jpg

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It isn't much. .25-06 100 grain Barnes TTSX at 3200fps. 420 yard shot.

It really didn't look like much until we pulled the hide off of him. One shot kill.