Exchange

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Hello,

I recently realized that over the past 9 months I've gleaned some pretty helpful information on a number of different topics from this forum. So my questions is, what do I have to offer?

As a 26 year old Minnesota resident with a whopping three western big game hunts under his belt, but who plans to travel West every fall as long as his body allows, how can I be an asset to a Western Big Game hunting forum?

I believe in exchange, and I'm afraid I've been doing a lot of "taking" recently. Please share any thoughts on how [or if] a guy like myself can contribute in a meaningful way.

Thanks!
DK

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I've only been on 5 western hunts, so I don't feel qualified to offer advice on location or tactics, but try to give my 2 cents whenever anybody asks about archery hunting or archery in general. Take whatever you can from these fine folks, and when it comes to giving back, stick with what you know.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I've only been on 5 western hunts, so I don't feel qualified to offer advice on location or tactics, but try to give my 2 cents whenever anybody asks about archery hunting or archery in general. Take whatever you can from these fine folks, and when it comes to giving back, stick with what you know.
This would also be the advice I would give you. Just make sure and stick around. There are still some fun conversations to get in around here.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Use what you have learned about the western hunting process to help other guys from the midwest and east coast that are planning their first hunts. Way to look out for guys on the forum!

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
I have only been on 1 western hunt but I have spent a lot of time learning the draw and point systems in most states so I help out in that area when I can

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I understand, even though I live in a western state I don't feel I have much to offer in exchange. I didn't start posting for info, more to share experiences, that is what it's really about. If you gain info that's an added bonus, use what you can, offer where you can.

And don't waste time of money building points in Oregon!

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Hello,

I recently realized that over the past 9 months I've gleaned some pretty helpful information on a number of different topics from this forum. So my questions is, what do I have to offer?

As a 26 year old Minnesota resident with a whopping three western big game hunts under his belt, but who plans to travel West every fall as long as his body allows, how can I be an asset to a Western Big Game hunting forum?

I believe in exchange, and I'm afraid I've been doing a lot of "taking" recently. Please share any thoughts on how [or if] a guy like myself can contribute in a meaningful way.

Thanks!
DK
This is a great question, I have been thinking the same thing for a while know. I just didn't know how to say it. I two have only been on a couple of western hunts so can't be alot of help. Alot of great folks on here that are willing to help out and are very fun to listen to, keeps me coming back every day. Thanks everyone!

JMBC

Dec 16, 2013
SW Missouri
Definitely a good question. For me, I've offered pinpoint info of what little success I had here and on another forum if anyone wants it. It seems with few posts nobody want it unless you post alot. But at least I offered. Since your from Minnesota, maybe help with fishing? Great state, been there once up around Ely. Loved the fishing. Or maybe advice to people coming on handling your state bird! Mosquito!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

hoshour

Veteran member
I like your attitude.

You can look up answers for some of the requests for information, especially for other newbies. You already know something about hunting and woodcraft and will learn more the longer you hang out here, spend time on the Game & Fish websites and read other forums or the journals and as you hunt more out West. There are more other guys on here learning than you think, if fact everyone is on here in part to learn from others.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
The important thing to realize is that everyone's experiences and contributions are valuable. Even though your experiences and input may not be as valuable to a person like myself who lives in the west, it may be priceless information to someone further east that shares some of your obstacles. Simple things like scouting. We can plan a long weekend for scouting even a state away. You guys have to put a lot more planning and preparation in to even a scouting trip. The hunt dynamics will even be different from a guy who has scouted an area compared to a guy like yourself who may only get a few days before season to gather data.

Short version is: everybody share. Everybody has an experience or a tidbit that will be valuable to other members. It is up to us to filter through and find the info that we can use.

Lets face it. You find a whole new respect for your fellow hunter when you know all the hard work that they have put into it. My hat is off to the guys out east that make that commitment to come out here and do battle with us.

Last edited:

Bucky19

Jan 5, 2014
Wisconsin
Well said by all. I'm glad I'm not the only eastern guy who feels this way. I would love to hunt out west every year. But reality sets in pretty quick. I just got a new boss and he said no vacation will be approved for mid September to late October. That took care of my plans for this year for the west. I still try to add to topics if I have any experience. But it is limited. Still I think it is a great site!!!!

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I think we all can learn something and none of us know everything. I'm sure you have a lot of different experiences that a lot of us have never been exposed to. Glad you posted!

David

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Im a rookie through and through, actually the more I hunt out West the more I realize how much more I have to learn.

Just the tad bit of advice can make all the difference in the world. My favorite thing to do and read are the stories, you retain a lot of info unknowingly that way. Plus you can pick up on the subtle things that will save your butt one day in the field.