Ever use your snakeproof boots?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Do you have snakeproof boots or gators and had a snake strike them? What was the result, besides needing clean underwear?

I've been stuck at once and the rattler hit a yucca plant and got deflected never making it to me. I was at work and was not wearing any snake proof gear.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Back in my working days I was a lineman for the phone company and wore high top climbing boots. One day I came down a pole and at the bottom of the pole I felt something hit my leg. I looked down and saw a piece of sagebrush move and then I felt it hit my leg again. I looked and saw about 8" of a 2-3' rattle snake sticking out from under my boot.

I don't know who left the fastest, me back up the pole or the snake after I got off of him. Then when I was about 10' up the pole I threw just about everything that I had in my tool bag at that small patch of brush at the bottom of the pole. I never did see that snake and when I came down I actually jumped about 6 or 7 feet out into a open area that I could see.

But when I head to Arizona in Feburary for the javelina hunts I am aware of the snakes and know that most will either be dened up or not far from it but I am aware of them. Even when we hike into the den site that we know of I don't worry too much about them.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Back in my working days I was a lineman for the phone company and wore high top climbing boots. One day I came down a pole and at the bottom of the pole I felt something hit my leg. I looked down and saw a piece of sagebrush move and then I felt it hit my leg again. I looked and saw about 8" of a 2-3' rattle snake sticking out from under my boot.

I don't know who left the fastest, me back up the pole or the snake after I got off of him. Then when I was about 10' up the pole I threw just about everything that I had in my tool bag at that small patch of brush at the bottom of the pole. I never did see that snake and when I came down I actually jumped about 6 or 7 feet out into a open area that I could see.

But when I head to Arizona in Feburary for the javelina hunts I am aware of the snakes and know that most will either be dened up or not far from it but I am aware of them. Even when we hike into the den site that we know of I don't worry too much about them.
Just about the same scenario for me, going in to hook a pole and just happened to look down to see the rattler deflecte off the yucca that was between us. Took me a minute before I could move on, little bugger next rattled either.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
We used to have more timber rattlesnakes than we do now. I did buy a pair of the snake proof chaps, but never put them to a test on a snake. They do work well if you need to work your way thru multiflora rose or thick brush rabbit hunting.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I had a 6 foot timber rattler strike a 5 gal bucket I was carrying once. I caught movement and swung the bucket and it struck the bucket. If I had not it would have done no good to have snake protection as it would have hit above the knee. I blew its head off with one lucky shot from my 911 45. It measured 6' 3" with out the head and had 18 rattles.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I had a 6 foot timber rattler strike a 5 gal bucket I was carrying once. I caught movement and swung the bucket and it struck the bucket. If I had not it would have done no good to have snake protection as it would have hit above the knee. I blew its head off with one lucky shot from my 911 45. It measured 6' 3" with out the head and had 18 rattles.
WOW!!

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
You guys are scaring me . I don't like snakes. I really don't have any fear of being eaten alive by Grizzlies but snakes bother me ... weird how the mind works

Reactions: Bonecollector

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Sometimes you have to look up instead of down all the time.
My son and I watched a rattler slither up a mesquite tree we were sitting under for shade while bow hunting. We were sitting there for quite a while before it decided to move. :eek: