Elk Unit 98

chasingcoues

Jun 25, 2014
Looking to do a DIY Bull Elk rut hunt as a non-resident. Has anyone ever hunted this unit before? Sounds like alot of small bulls but lots of action.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
Looking to do a DIY Bull Elk rut hunt as a non-resident. Has anyone ever hunted this unit before? Sounds like alot of small bulls but lots of action.
I hunted there last season as a resident. I never actually needed to go to the wilderness area. Saw lots of hunters. Most walked right by where I found elk. It was hot and dry, the moon was full, and a pack of wolves had come through a few days before the rifle opener. That made the elk wary and nocturnal. Bulls would call back but never come.

Turbo

Oct 9, 2018
Illinois
Can you find elk out of the wilderness down In the NF for the earlier rifle season let September. I am a not resident at ao I can?t go to the wilderness without a guide or a local. Any help if I can find elk that low during that time?!?!?

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
I don't know much about that area, but the cow tags are cheap enough to go give it a look in the Fall of 2019. It looks like a fun area to pack a rifle and a fishing rod.