Elk Unit 36

jkean949

Sep 26, 2016
Kansas City
Hi Everyone, new to this site, but not new to hunting (33 years of hunting).

Can anyone tell me how far up do guys camp those ORV trails? Do folks just pitch tent at random spots up there or has the Forest Service (or any agency) set out specific spots? It's NF, so theoretically unless it is a specific zone closed out anywhere is good.

I'm just going up for a freezer filler elk with my dad and trying to get as much information as I can. We've done Gunnison, CO a couple of times as far back on ORV as we can get.

From all I have read, the ORV access to the North end of 36 looks to be closed out...can anyone confirm that?

thanks and happy hunting!

John

dukeball33

Sep 10, 2014
There are a lot of folks hunting 36 and that was the archery season. I heard rifle season can even be worse. I think the middle section of 36 is only accessible on foot or horses but you can find ORV trails on the north and south ends of the area.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Have hunted and guided unit 36, we guided the middle section horseback during the seasons and is tough country to hike into. Many of the animals begin hitting the piney River ranch soon as the shots fly but do come on and off when they hunt the property. North end is mostly closed south end has more access to drive into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkean949

Sep 26, 2016
Kansas City
Good point I just realized it was Wyoming thread but mentioned Gunnison, CO I assumed CO unit 36

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry about the lack of clarity...I brought up Gunnison just for reference. My question was about the Wyoming unit 36. We hunted it last minute and my dad tagged a nice cow.

Beautiful land up there, closer to the hunter parking area was pretty thick with hunters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk