elk . tough as a leather boot

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have an easy solution for you Kid, stop shooting the oldest cow in the group! And I know it was important to show here off but leaving her in the bed of the truck for three days was a little much.... JK, feel free to give me grief back.

Lots of good tips here all!

• Haha
Reactions: kidoggy and JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My Swiss steak in the Instapot was pretty good but I think that I'll go back to pounding flour into the steak before cooking. This time I just flowered the steaks and browned them before placing them in the pot to cook under pressure. One thing that I do like as far as extra flavor is using V8 juice for the liquid. The meat was pretty tender but without pounding the flour into it I still had to cut it with a knife but at least I could chew it and it didn't feel like a rubber ball in my mouth like some of the steaks from this elk were like.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have an easy solution for you Kid, stop shooting the oldest cow in the group! And I know it was important to show here off but leaving her in the bed of the truck for three days was a little much.... JK, feel free to give me grief back.

Lots of good tips here all!
lol. I just cain't hep it ! the old ones provoke me!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Once the pink is gone, it's jerky to me. I don't care for well done meat so I would recommend using a tenderizer. I have had tough elk before-typically when I didn't have time to age properly. Running through a tenderizer or learning the method with a sharp knife works. Essentially you are making a bunch of tiny slices half way through the meat from both sides of the steak. Be careful when you grill as it tends to cook faster. It's not a cure all but it makes very tough meat edible.

Another thought, you can ground the steaks without adding fat- then you can still grill to medium rare. Again, cooking time will be a bit different. One thing that helps this is to kneed the burger for at least 1 minute to activate the proteins. Pat steaks out to normal steak thickness. It will really sick together and cook closer to whole steak times.

Hope this helps.
thanks hilltop . I tried the knife trick today. then marinated in a mesquite concoction for about a half hour and cooked em medium on the barbecue. can't believe the difference . still a wee tough but I must say quite delicious!

thumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (1).jpg

Attachments

Thommy94

Jan 10, 2021
Try dry aging the meat I do it in my fridge with deer. I use a bacon rack over a bed of salt In a container. It will build a hard crust on the meat you just cut away.i do it from one to three weeks if you have access to a fridge your not using you can do a whole hind quarter Also you can purchase a meat tenderizer online or your local store that sells butchering stuff. It’s two rollers with teeth on a crank handle. You put the meat at the top turn the crank it come out tenderized

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
was playing with the instapot today and did some salmon. only took 3 minutes and it was deeelicious!
straight from freezer just add one cup water and season to taste. high pressure for 3 minutes and quik realease. came out perfect
thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: marcusvdk and JimP