Elk taking over?

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
I've done quite a lot of scouting this year in the unit that I got an archery deer tag, and I've never hunted there before but I keep hearing how many deer there used to be a few years ago. Now days, you and go up there and be lucky to see one average buck, but you will see like 20 nice bulls. So my question is: Do you guys think that the elk are slowly taking over a lot of the units that used to be mostly deer? This is great for all the big time elk hunters because there will be more tags, but I'm mainly a muley guy and it kinda sucks for me lol... Have any of you other guys noticed the elk "taking over" in other units as well? I personally think that NV needs to increase their elk tags by a ton.

Here is a picture and a video of some elk I found during a scouting trip. Just goes to show how many bulls there are. Ridiculous.
[video=youtube;IabOj0k5q2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IabOj0k5q2w[/video]

Attachments

Last edited:

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Yes. That is what ndow wants. More money for an elk tag than a deer tag. They have been throwing WAY more money to increase elk herds and nearly nothing for mule deer. The commission vote to reduce deer tag numbers is proof. Bios say we have alot more deer I think most disagree. It is disgusting how many few deer I see here in Nevada compared to early 90s when they flourished. But no. Kill more deer. That's the answer. Thank you commissioners for not taking the biologists advice.

Bluetick: nice screen name. I spent the majority of my life with them in my backyard making enemies out of my neighbors! :)

Last edited:

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I live in NM and the same thing happens, the elk take over and the deer population suffers! No one controls the elk because elk tags sell for more money than deer tags! It's ridiculous how many more elk I see than deer but nothing is done about it. Its going to be a major problem for the deer if the elk aren't controlled.

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
Nice pic hubba. Dare I even ask what unit those bulls are in?
Well, all I will say is they are in 11-22 in NV. That gives you about 100 square miles to narrow it down ha ;) I was just up there for a week on my deer hunt, and a few nice bulls are up there still, but the majority of them have disappeared. My uncle has that tag for archery elk tho, so hopefully we can get a good bull! :)

hubba20

Mar 9, 2011
Southern Nevada
Well, I hunted antelope for the first 5 days of the hunt, and I honestly believe that killing an antelope by spot and stalk is the toughest animal to kill in the world. I got to 60 yards once and felt pretty good about myself haha... but during that hunt, I ended up losing my range finder, so when I got to the deer hunt, I had a 30" 3x3 at what I thought was 60 yards, and sure enough I shot just over his back lol. So no buck yet... I have another week tho so we'll see how it goes!

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Well, all I will say is they are in 11-22 in NV. That gives you about 100 square miles to narrow it down ha ;) I was just up there for a week on my deer hunt, and a few nice bulls are up there still, but the majority of them have disappeared. My uncle has that tag for archery elk tho, so hopefully we can get a good bull! :)
That narrows it down. ;) Good luck on the bucks. Hope you can post a pic soon!