Elk hunting wy. units 49,47

ulmer

Jan 16, 2014
NORTH DAKOTA
We are new to hunting wy. And are sending in for cow elk tags for unit 49 or 47 was just wondering if any one has any info on them befor we send in I know we have to have them in by Jan.31st

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Have been by 47 have only antelope hunted in the sagebrush of 49. Apps need in for NR elk by 5pm of the 28th which is getting close.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Yep, they are to be in by 5PM Mountain Time on the 31st, not the 28th. I've hunted out there almost every year since 1992 and your best unit with plenty of public land that holds elk is 47. 49 has very little public land that holds elk, other than the ne part off Rome Hill Road, as most are on the private ranches on the east side of the unit. All the BLM land you see on the west side of 49 is void of elk and is basicly deer and antelope country with very few of them because of the continuing drought.

ulmer

Jan 16, 2014
NORTH DAKOTA
ok thanks guys for the info we have decided to go a few units farther north to 41 and 2nd choice 40 its closer to home looks like it has a longer season last year and if we don't have any luck getting one still be fun to hunt in hills and mountains instead of the flat crop land and roads every 1-2 miles like here in ND where the road hunters see just as much as the guys out working for them

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Both 41 and 40 are good choices and IMHO would both be better than 47 or 49 for access and amount of public land. I also think there is probably a better elk population up there.

ulmer

Jan 16, 2014
NORTH DAKOTA
with any luck on getting a tag will be going out there in aug. some time to take a look around and will give a update on what i all see then

Airborne1

Sep 20, 2011
Springfield, Illinois
Both 41 and 40 are good choices and IMHO would both be better than 47 or 49 for access and amount of public land. I also think there is probably a better elk population up there.
Ulmer, Let us know how the hunting turns out in 40 or 41 if you draw a tag, I have a guided elk hunt scheduled for one of those units in 2015.

ulmer

Jan 16, 2014
NORTH DAKOTA
AIRBORNE, I will for sure let you know how it goes and what i all find. hope i come back with some pic to show

RETTERATH, From what I have seen it takes 3-4pp to get to 100% draw for a N/R but that's what I have found some of the other guys on here know way more and where to look more then I do im still new to finding were to look for everything best thing I can say is ask like you did and look at the threads on this form and some one might have already talked about it I know a lot of the ? i had i found on here or a good place to start to find what i was looking for hope this helped you

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
Yeah thanks Ulmer I'm only going to have 1 point going into the 2015 draw and also trying to decide if I should try to draw a easy to draw unit or go hunt a cow and learn the area for when I draw a good unit with good bulls.

Airborne1

Sep 20, 2011
Springfield, Illinois
It can make a big difference in alot of units. You really have to study the draw odds to see how much difference it makes in each unit.
I will have 2 pp's going into the special draw in 2015. Based on the last few years 2 pp's in the special draw for area 40 or 41 is 100%. This just shows the difference in when applying in the special draw.

Elliot1986

Oct 1, 2015
Topgun 30-06 I tried to message you and it wouldnt let me, I have a couple questions for you. Do you have another way for me to contact you?

Thanks
Elliot