Elk Calls

Shane

Feb 21, 2011
Montana
I was just wondering if anyone could recomend some good calls and instructional dvds or books. Hoping to do a little rut hunting and would like to be a little better than the guys who I heard a few years ago that apparently just bought their calls and had no clue how to use them. Thanks for the input.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
You can't go wrong with the ELK NUT, number one would be to get the "The PlayBook". As for calls I really like Bugling Bull game calls. Good Luck!

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I like the hoochiemamma cow call for an easy to use call that works very well. For a bugle, I like the mac daddy by hunters specialty. There are tons of bugles to choose from. This one works by just blowing through it like a straw and using a lever you press with your thumb or finger. It does cow, calf, bull, and you can make a good distressed rabbit call with it too. Just a note: Bulls dont care too much for rabbit, so if your elk hunting with it, stick to the elk sounds. LOL.

I have used a few mouth reeds from primos, they work very very well in practice. However I have NEVER got my mouth reeds to work in the field due to dry mouth syndrome. When your hiking, or getting an adrenaline rush from getting close, its really hard to produce enough spit to make em work. Thats where these other two calls work awesome.

The MacDaddy call comes with a nice DVD too, and it shows you how to do all the calls you want with it. I like the DVD, its nice to be able to watch it, listen to it, then run your own bugle until you can hear your efforst match the videos.

One major important note with the MacDaddy bugle though. It uses a reed, that is internal. It comes with one extra and thats it. Every place I have been to that sells this bugle, fails to sell the replacement reeds for it. You will need to locate them online, and I recommend never go into the field without a back up reed. If they tear, it will sound like a dieing cat choking on a wet sock.

Good luck and have fun with your calls.

T43

Another place to look is your local Sportsman's or Cabela's. They have guys who get payed to help you figure out what you are doing. I know a Primos rep who teaches calling and his goal is to make sure you get the best out of their products. Instead of just trying to mimic a DVD you can get one on one feedback and advice on what you can do to improve your own calling. These guys are everywhere. I met one who reped for another company last week who lives in Colorado and it sounds like he does the same thing. If you were closer I would recommend the Wood River RMEF banquet this Saturday near Hailey Idaho. There will be an elk calling seminar before the banquet starts.

THEBUGLER

Feb 21, 2011
Idaho
www.elk101.com
Rocky at Bugling Bull has put out some instructional elk calling videos that you can get at bugling bull.com. If you do a "bugling bull game calls" search on UTUBE, Rocky also has some instructial clips which cost nothing to watch.

wileywapiti

Feb 21, 2011
gods country
really, almost any call that you can master is a good call. i use the mouth diaphragm and the mossback double barrel bugle and i like both. i did buy Elknuts videos and diaphragms and playbook, in my OPINION, i think these are way over priced for the info you get. dont get me wrong he has good stuff, but its not stuff you cant find for free if you do a little exploring. just buy a few and figure them out...if you dont like them try a different brand. also...listen to others doing it and try to mimic them, it will make you better. oh...and also dont get to caught up in trying to be prefect.....ive never had a bull tell me i sucked at calling. Might not have gotten every elk in to my "good" calls, but ive had some come into god-awful sounding mistakes. just make sure you talkin their language.

oh, by the way....any of you want my Elknut videos and playbook....just pm me, ill give them away for free.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Thats great advise Wiley. I know we all want to sound like that big bad bull sometimes. It is true though, if you sound like the biggest one out there, it often drives off the medium to so so bulls, they get so intimidated.
A bad squawk from a dry mouth or slipped reed placement can sometimes get them so curious they just cant stand it!

T43

This is all good info. This will be my first season of hunting in the rut as opposed to after the rut. I have the odd sounding messed up calls down pretty well so perhaps I will have more success than I thought. I do manage to get a good sounding call out every once in a while so I have something to fall back on.

CheyenneElk

Oct 9, 2011
Cheyenne, WY
Elknut's Playbook is #1, but there are many others. I like and have books by Dwight Schuh (2 books), Mike Lapinski (3 books), Don Laubaugh (E.L.K. INC) (1 book, he has others), and Mike Eastman. All have great information that is communicated very well. Reading information from all of them and giving each one careful consideration, you find repeated themes. Each author puts their own spin on the themes and one author's spint will definitely get the messeage through. By reading multiple authors, you will be years of experience ahead of novice hunters.

Elknut's playbook can be carried in the field in a pocket as the pages are weatherproof.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
In reality, I think you need to try a lot of different calls and find one that works well for you. Every person is going to sound different on calls. So just because someone blows on a call and it works really well for them, does not mean it will work well for you. I use Da Holla Back Elk Bugle from MossBack Game Calls. I absolutely love it. The technology behind the calls is different from everything else on the market. They have the nose and throat technology which is awesome and makes the calls sound so life-like. Most people need a diaphragm call to be able to bugle and chuckle really well and I can do both without a diaphragm and I can do them both well. We dont have instructional videos, but I am on the pro staff and would be more than happy to walk you through anything you might need!