Elk Area 45 Packer

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I just drew an archery elk tag for area 45 in the Big Horns. Unfortunately none of my buddies drew this year, so I will most likely be hunting alone. Knowing it is big country I thought it would be wise to try and find a packer in case I am fortunate to get an elk down. Does anyone know of anyone in the Worland or Tensleep areas that I could talk to? I know its a long ways off but I would like to have some lined up ahead of time. Any help is appreciated!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
None that I know of and I've hunted out there in that general area for 20+ years. That's a great tag and I believe several others on this site drew that tag, so you might want to put a feeler out to see if any would care to share a camp with you. Short of that you may just have to bone one out, keeping all the meat in the shade and as cool as possible while you backpack as much as possible out each trip. It's better to make a lot of trips with less weight than to try and overload yourself to cut down on trips. Trust me on that one!

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Congrats on the tag,
That is the first unit I applied for back before PPts and I never did catch it.

Went all in this year and went a completely different direction.

I agree with top gun be ready to bone it out and maybe have some lifelines.
Might also look into renting (or reserving) a couple of pack animals.
Might be someone who would be willing to deliver a couple of horses for a fee.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
None that I know of and I've hunted out there in that general area for 20+ years. That's a great tag and I believe several others on this site drew that tag, so you might want to put a feeler out to see if any would care to share a camp with you. Short of that you may just have to bone one out, keeping all the meat in the shade and as cool as possible while you backpack as much as possible out each trip. It's better to make a lot of trips with less weight than to try and overload yourself to cut down on trips. Trust me on that one!
And it may seem like a long way off but it is really only a couple of full months:cool:

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Renting animals was mentioned above, but I'm also not aware of anything closer than down near Pavilion where Wyoming Horses is located. I rented a couple horses, all the tack, and a trailer and hauled them myself, but that was way back in 1997 and 1999. The prices then were pretty reasonable, but I imagine by now it's gone way up and you would also lose a day on each end of your hunt getting one and taking it back. They are also a pain in the butt having to make sure you have a water source to provide at least 20 gallons a day for one along with the proper feed, knowledge of how to put all the tack on, and you lose at least an hour in the morning and again in the evening taking care of them. In a nutshell, I'd plan on making sure you're in good shape and have a good backpack to haul at least 50# at a time back to your vehicle. You'll need to figure 4-6 trips for a big bull with one alone to bring out the head and cape, which will be the heaviest load.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Renting animals was mentioned above, but I'm also not aware of anything closer than down near Pavilion where Wyoming Horses is located. I rented a couple horses, all the tack, and a trailer and hauled them myself, but that was way back in 1997 and 1999. The prices then were pretty reasonable, but I imagine by now it's gone way up and you would also lose a day on each end of your hunt getting one and taking it back. They are also a pain in the butt having to make sure you have a water source to provide at least 20 gallons a day for one along with the proper feed, knowledge of how to put all the tack on, and you lose at least an hour in the morning and again in the evening taking care of them. In a nutshell, I'd plan on making sure you're in good shape and have a good backpack to haul at least 50# at a time back to your vehicle. You'll need to figure 4-6 trips for a big bull with one alone to bring out the head and cape, which will be the heaviest load.
Thanks for the clarification TG,
Absolutely agree, my thoughts applicable only with some basic pack animal skills.
Certainly easier to just hire a guy with stock.
Or plan on those trips!

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I definitely plan on being in good shape, on top of this tag I have an archery permit in the Missouri Breaks in MT, so I hope to be in the best hiking shape of my life. The plan is to take two weeks in a row off, and hunt in WY first and the whole two weeks if I have to. It just makes me a little nervous shooting a bull a few miles back in the Big Horns in the heat of September and trying to get all that meat out by myself. If the weather is nice and cool and I knew the meat would be fine it would be no problem.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I definitely plan on being in good shape, on top of this tag I have an archery permit in the Missouri Breaks in MT, so I hope to be in the best hiking shape of my life. The plan is to take two weeks in a row off, and hunt in WY first and the whole two weeks if I have to. It just makes me a little nervous shooting a bull a few miles back in the Big Horns in the heat of September and trying to get all that meat out by myself. If the weather is nice and cool and I knew the meat would be fine it would be no problem.
Wow, you won the lottery twice for this Fall! Are you planning to be in 45 the first half of September or have you figured out your hunt dates yet? The reason I ask is that if you happen to hunt the last half of the month it's very possible that I can give you some help if you want it since I plan on being out there near 45 by about the 15th to 17th. If the dates would happen to work out, I'd be happy to help you some on your hunt!

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
It's not set in stone but I am thinking about hunting the second and third weeks. Will you be hunting somewhere around there?

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
It's not set in stone but I am thinking about hunting the second and third weeks. Will you be hunting somewhere around there?
I'll be within a 1/2 hours drive of 45, but won't be doing much, if any, hunting until October. Being retired I always go out early to scout deer and elk along with some photography, as well as helping an older ranching couple a little that lets me hunt on their ranch for free, etc. I'm pretty flexible this year since none of the people I know will be bow hunting elk in September, so the most hunting I will do is to try and pop a couple doe antelope before deer season opens on 10/15 and that usually doesn't take very long. Send me an email when you have your dates set for sure and I can probably even get out there a little earlier than what I said to help you if you're planning on the second and third weeks of the season. That. incidently, is a good two weeks of the month to be there if you aren't retired like I am and can't be out there any longer than that. Mike Stephenson stephensonm@chartermi.net

Last edited:

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
That ole' Topgun is a nice guy huh!! Best of luck on your archery bull hunt. I wish I were going to be out there, I would help too!

MOHunter

Jul 14, 2011
Joplin, MO
I know mcseal2 took a bull out of the Bighorns last year and hired a packer to get it out. I believe he would have been around the Shell area so it's a little north of you. Still might be worth reaching out to him for some information.