El Nino Rainfall

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Looks like the much heralded El Nino rainfall has turned into El No-No for Southern California. It appears that the Sierras have fared a little better. As of 2/1/2016, the Sierra snowpack is at its highest level in five years. The average statewide snowpack is 114% of normal, but they are telling us that we need a minimum of 150% to make a dent in the drought. Most of the CA lakes are roughly half full. Thanks to mandated releases of lake water to ensure adequate flow for the survival of the Neon Gilled Tadpole Sucker and other such species, CA lakes may never return to normal levels. Just wondering how the rainfall is in various areas of Northern California.

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
It's headed in the right direction. It would be tough to make it all up in one year. I'm in the valley below sacramento and we have more than average rainfall so far. The sierras where I hunt they've gotten a lot of snow.

SunnyInCO

Oct 20, 2015
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Thanks to mandated releases of lake water to ensure adequate flow for the survival of the Neon Gilled Tadpole Sucker and other such species, CA lakes may never return to normal levels.
Colorado was in a major drought for a while in the early to mid 2000's, probably not as bad as Cali but enough that the reservoirs were very low and the fires were bad. After a couple of good years of snowfall the lakes and reservoirs filled back up. Hopefully the same will happen for California.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Yea it will take several years of above average or normal precip to get out of this drought. A nice slow warming spring to let the moisture seep into the ground would be nice instead of these sudden warm-ups that melt all the snow all at once.

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA

5 weeks ago at 6500'.
One heck of a lot better than last year.
It's not over yet fellas, pray March pulls us up.
Last year as a comparison.

Comparison. Happy dog pic.

Last edited:

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Yesterday, the weather guessers declared that due to lack of rain and snow melt during the month of February, the snow pack is now at 83% of normal and we need 150% to overcome the drought! Some simple math-the snow pack was at 113% of normal at the end of January. Now 83% at the end of February. A loss of 30% in one month, but where did it go? Surely at least some of it went into the lakes as runoff, or soaked into the groundwater. It could not have all been lost due to evaporation. I know we are in a drought, but every time we have rain in SoCal, we hear "not enough to make any difference". This is beginning to sound more and more like a shell game with Jerry Brown as the dealer.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Somehow I seriously doubt that one winter with even 150% of normal precip is going to get us out of this drought. The drought has been ongoing for years to get us where we are now. It will take years to get us out.

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
dont believe the media, average is great,,,or at least that's what my wife says.
When it comes to weather and politics they've got their head firmly planted up their ass. At least the weather fella has an excuse.