EIC

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
has anyone dealt with exercise induced collapse with their lab. Our 2yrear old has shown some signs of it or heat stress.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Used to hunt doves in September in California's Imperial Valley where it could get to 115 or more. Had to really be careful with any dog, especially Labs with the heat. I saw a friends Lab actually pass out and have a seizure from working in the heat. He was never the same again!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Our lab got too hot last spring while playing and suffered what I think was a mild heat stroke similar to what you are referring to. We got him into the house to cool down and drink lots of water.

I limit the amount of play time with our lab during summer months for that exact reason. I throw the ball maybe one or two times for him when its hot out and that it. No more. I put it up. Now if we are around water, I will let him retrieve a bunch. But even the local lakes are so hot right now that it doesn't do a very good job of cooling him so a person needs to be careful.

We have a kids swimming pool set up in the shade for him in the yard that he regularly jumps in to cool off (This works very well for him). He just isn't designed very well for this GA heat.

Black Labs Matter.

cacklercrazy

Feb 24, 2011
Our lab got too hot last spring while playing and suffered what I think was a mild heat stroke similar to what you are referring to. We got him into the house to cool down and drink lots of water.

I limit the amount of play time with our lab during summer months for that exact reason. I throw the ball maybe one or two times for him when its hot out and that it. No more. I put it up. Now if we are around water, I will let him retrieve a bunch. But even the local lakes are so hot right now that it doesn't do a very good job of cooling him so a person needs to be careful.

We have a kids swimming pool set up in the shade for him in the yard that he regularly jumps in to cool off (This works very well for him). He just isn't designed very well for this GA heat.

Black Labs Matter.
I diffently like that black labs matter. We all think our kids are special, but thos is the best dog I've ever had and don't want to hurt her.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a 2 acre pond and work my black Lab in the water exclusively in the summer. She likes to play with a frisbe type of toy and when she feels hot, in the water she goes. Lucky to have the water for her .

Reactions: cacklercrazy